Kai Gunto - Just Sharing Excitement

Erwin

Hi all,

This post is only to share my excitment with respect to one of the latest purchases, a Kai Gunto made by Nagata Sukenori.

I have done most of the research already so no particular questions although I cannot find too much information around this smid. What I found I added to the photoshoot in the pictures attached. Although the Katana is in a great condition overal, I think the blade has not been treated well. The hammon is only very slightly visible unfortunately andfor sure a polish would bring it back alive.

Anyhow, just though it would be nice to show.

Best regards

Erwinpost-4144-0-64873200-1505679171_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-69135500-1505679170_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-33230200-1505679172_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-34578100-1505679173_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-21527400-1505679174_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-86530700-1505679174_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-90781000-1505679175_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-77615100-1505679176_thumb.jpgpost-4144-0-91103100-1505679179_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you for your comments and was my understanding as well that the term: with the aid of machines, does more right to the work and craftmanship going into producing the blade.

Of course, with the Seki stamp applied, it is certainly not traditionally made but believe the overal set-up is nice and indeed, the sun ray Tsuba assembly is also my fav set-up and love the details.

With best regards and have a lovely day

Erwin

Erwin i had 2 Kai Gunto in my collection well signed Nakago and sold them further. I think that the saya of yours i sprayed black. I dont know what you have paid for the Kai Gunto but it is not worth to spend more money in that Sword. Belive me. Look for a mint Kai Gunto with a good looking same saya and fittings in better condition and a good blade. 

I sold mine very cheap and it takes one year to sell it.

post-3496-0-30569200-1505719193_thumb.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Erwin, the KAI GUNTO is a beautiful WW2 sword, and I don't think they get the recognition they deserve. One of the reasons is that a large number were made with stainless steel blades, and the nihonto purist shunned them. I happen to love all KAIs, and collect them (not in stainless steel). The Seppa range in finish from plain brass to highlighted gold plating. The rising sun Seppa is a beautiful thing to behold.

Don't be put off yours, it is a good example to keep and study. Neil

post-3858-0-66616000-1505729134_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-66231300-1505729147_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the excitment & passion you always bring to the table and the impressive pictures of your collection.

Do not get me wrong, I still love to see the Kai from Sukenori and from all the versiosn I had this one still feels as one with quality, great fitting & stirdy. The fact the hammon is only visible at roughly 25% of the blade is a bit of a pitty but this also is a result of history, as to where it has been and in which conditions.  

thanks again and have a great day

Erwin

No Stephen i don't think so. The Koshirae is rubbed in my opinion. Look at the kashira the blossoms are all pure copper. Normal it was gold plated, like the ashi, the fuchi, kabutogane and the ishizuke. I saw this rubbed parts at my two Kai Gunto too. When you look with a very good magnifying glass you see maybe goldplating there. But, maybe you are right and this is a downgrade? 

Do you remember my crew gunto i showed here. The first thing Brian said the copper tsuba is rubbed. I thought that was an individual upgrade. But Brian was right.  :)

Maybe the officers on board cleaned often thier swords?

I see what you me - even the black of the tsuba is gone where it is exposed (still there where the seppa covers it). I have seen many kaigunto with the gold-giliding gone from the saya fittings, but I've never seen the tsuba black gone. This does seem intentional. It looks good that way, but not original.

Look at Ohmuras site. The black of many Tsuba has gone at the mimi. They all was complete deep with black Seppa and Tsuba.

But the black has gone and i think that the rubbed then to shining metal for a better look.

Thats my personal opinion - not more and i did not say I'm right.  ;-)

Hi Bruce,

Mimi 耳 みみ usually refers to edges, rims etc, mostly on Tsuba but you will find the term applied to Okimono.

Literally "the Ears"  of an item.

https://www.japaneseswordindex.com/tsuba.htm

Also on a blade, you have an Ear shaped effect in hamon which is known as Mimigata. 

From Ohmuras Website.

Type Tachi

Metal fittings (pommel, ferrule, throat, the first - the second suspension mount, semegane, chape) 

The product made from a brass casting. Compared with an army, there was few work absolutely, and the

production company was also restricted. Therefore, except for a landing force or the great war last

stage, the quality and the gap of a shape like an army Guntō are not. 

Guard: Product made from a brass casting. 

:) 

Stephen i don't think that this one is a copper tsuba. But who know's? No, i've never seen a regular copper tsuba on a Kai Gunto.

And this one is a regular tsuba, i bet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..