Tsunbo Nagatsuna?

Recent ebay auction sword.  One of Shodai Tadatsuna's famous students was Sesshu Nagatsuna, who apparently was deaf and carried the name "tsunbo", meaning deaf.  I have studied this mei a bit with the examples I have and think it has a 50:50 chance to be shoshin.  I would be interested to hear what others think.  Sorry about the photo, which has a lot of foreshortening due to the angle of the shot.  Cheers, Bob

post-620-0-62248900-1505305983_thumb.jpg

That's encouraging Luis.  I am even hopeful that the mounts will turn out to be something good - can't really tell from the photos, but the handle has super large knob same, which is usually a good indicator of quality.  I'm hoping that it is in choji and worth having a polish.  He is jo-saku and 60 points in Hawley's.  Did you see it or bid on it?  I forgot to provide the link, but here it is.  Cheers, Bob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-Japanese-samurai-wakizashi-katana-sword-/292241872087?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=aFXedFOnG%252BtinaMi%252FYembYM3EcI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hello Bob, yes I did see it and consider bidding but having too many Wakizashi in my collection I did not participate. The mounts are solid iny my humble oppinion. I like the Tsuka and its Kodugu. The Tsuba is average. I agree on the same. I beleive it is an interesting blade that I woild love to hear wha it turns out like. I keep my fingers crossed it has a nice Hamon.

I have received the sword and am essentially content, thought there are some issues.  It is bent and I can't see the hamon due to the whole surface being scratched up.  I have concluded that the sword on balance is quite healthy and want to submit it to shinsa.  Any suggestions how I might get a peek at the hamon without sending it to a togishi for a window?  Is there a non destructive way to do this that somebody can suggest?  Cheers, Bob

It is bent and I can't see the hamon due to the whole surface being scratched up.  I have concluded that the sword on balance is quite healthy and want to submit it to shinsa.

Robert, I hope you're aware that unless your blade is in polish, sending it to shinsa doesn't make any sense, as they won't even consider it.

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..