Another 98

Windy

Not sure about the mark (or not), but unmarked/signed/stamped swords are not at all uncommon. More surprising is that some frankly average blades were signed. When you are producing blades for quantity and demand as opposed to art I'd think you wouldn't be so inclined to put your name to it. Like if a famous famous fashion designer had to quickly produce a huge clothing range for Wal-Mart.

Bear in mind that sometimes painted kanji were used, for presumably assembly purposes.

Not sure about the mark (or not), but unmarked/signed/stamped swords are not at all uncommon.

Any ideas of why these showato ended up not being stamped in some way, especially the ones made during the war, I have several unmarked ones as well.

Other than this, I’m struggling to find any other marks. Is this odd, considering the blade is from an established Seki Smith?

Matt, I particularly enjoy the stamps on gunto, and to my knowledge the answer to your question is unknown. There is an interesting page on Ryujin Swords that postulates the Showa stamp was only used on blades sold through the Officer Clubs, so theoretically, a blade sold through a private shop would not have one. Such a circumstance MAY also account for the lack of an arsenal stamp. Seki stamps before 1940 were a swordsmith guild mark, but once the mark was taken over by the Arsenal inspectors, like your 1943 blade, it wouldn't be there if the blade wasn't sold through the arsenal?

The stamping process is one of the least known aspects of the gunto manufacturing world.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..