Do Not Respond To Private Offers Of Swords Unless You Know The Person

New members joining and immediately sending offers of swords to people via pm.
Do NOT fall for it folks.
Please let me know if you get any suspicious offers from unverified members. Ask them to prove their location or give you known Nihonto community members who can vouch for them.
And DON'T trust email addresses that seem to be known. They can have an extra digit or something making them seem like a known email.

Today we have someone new with the above activity.
I am looking into it. IP address seems to go back to Nigeria, so not looking good. But please always be aware.
I'll be taking this all the way to his ISP....South Africans know how to deal with Nigerian 419 scammers ;-)

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

Yes, one post and offers to source whatever I needed. Too good to be true!

A good little trick is to ask for a picture of the sword with a handwritten username in the frame. Then you can be reasonably sure they at least have the item...

Thanks Brian for keeping an eye out. As they're banned already I'll not spam you with PM.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry for the late bump and not really contributing to the issue, but there is justice happening sometimes. Here is an example of a hero countering an attempted laptop scam. This starts off a little slow but it is well worth the whole read. Mild profanity and much laughter ahead.

Scamming the scammers

Thanks Omar, that made my day!

I ran into one of these guys when I tried selling a Rinji (Type 3) gunto on Craigslist. He asked me to hold the sword while he sent his team to pick it up. He would send me a check for the full amount, plus $900 extra. The extra was for me to pay his delivery guy! The check arrived, which I promptly took to my bank. The bank has several of these on file as they are all forgeries. I asked how the scam works, since he said he was willing for the check to clear before I mailed the sword. Turns out that the bank sits on the check for approx 9 days while they confirm that the bank & account are real on the other end. At that point, they clear the money to my account (in this case $1,900). After I cash out, and the scammer cancel the delivery guy, the scammer will want me to mail them the $900. After about 3 WEEKS, when the bank at the other end goes through all their checks and realizes the check is a forgery, they notify MY bank of the fraud and then my bank comes to me wanting their money back (or they just take it in shorts, depending upon the bank).

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...

"Turns out that the bank sits on the check for approx 9 days while they confirm that the bank & account are real on the other end. At that point, they clear the money to my account (in this case $1,900). After I cash out, and the scammer cancel the delivery guy, the scammer will want me to mail them the $900. After about 3 WEEKS, when the bank at the other end goes through all their checks and realizes the check is a forgery, they notify MY bank of the fraud and then my bank comes to me wanting their money back"

Thank you Bruce, this is particularly important information. Most assume that once the bank clears the check at their end, all is well.

Marc

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Know the person? I know A LOT of people and I know not to deal with them. Let me simply explain "dealing" and what I call "Bad Behavior" in specific collecting venues . 

Many moons ago enhanced embellished language / information was used, kind of like chumming for fish. That embellished language / information wasn't challenged, so more started to using it. Then more and more and more. Not only was it used, it was / is amplified. I'm not speaking about the china crap, I'm talking main stream Nihonto. Does it work from the bottom up, the top down, or both. Well it's both! Most collectors don't see the red flags, because they don't understand the game, and it is a game. A Big part of the Art game is blind emotion and the Art of lost information . 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1