Netsuke Miniature Matchlock Pistol For Auction

• 4 weeks later...

A friend sent me this link for my interest.  Thought I'd share it here:

https:/www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/miniature-Japanese-matchlock-pistol-netsuke-9534CECAA2

BaZZa.

It ended up selling for $1265, someone like it a lot, you can get a real one for than price (occasionally).

Attractive Netsuke in the Form of a Gold Inlaid Miniature Japanese Matchlock Pistol

Netsuke first appears in the 17th century. They are ornamental designs used to help hang sacks, baskets, or boxes off of sashes since traditional Japanese clothing did not have pockets. This example is fashioned in the shape of a 19th century Japanese matchlock pistol and likely dates from the same period. The barrel has golden scroll and floral designs. Most of the smaller parts are silver. A swivel is fitted to the bottom of the forend for attaching a cord. Though not actually meant to be fired, the pistol is designed like a fully functional matchlock and has a vented barrel.

Very fine with 75% of the gold inlay remaining on the barrel and oxidation and brown patina on the remaining iron. The silver and brass have aged patina. The lock needs minor adjustments to the sear. The wood is also very fine and has minor handling and storage marks and a very faint hairline crack on the front left

1a3324654f39dcdd31b9e4e551745840.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..