Yoroidoshi Tanto, Or Something Else?

6pakki

Dear all,

Friend of mine who wishes to remain incognito, has got a present from his wife that puzzles us all.

It was found in UK auction house with a description:

A Japanese ARMOUR PIERCING DAGGER (YOROIDOSHI TANTO) with robust blade, tang signed 'Sanbun...' 'Munechika' and pierced with a single mekugi-ana, black lacquered grip, in its matching scabbard decorated with two gilt mon on one side and a single mon on the other 16.2 cm; 6 3/8 in blade

Curious as I am, I would like if someone of you could look at the pictures and shed more light to this lovely blade.

(I have a feeling that this was not originally a tanto but a yari or naginata of some sort...)

I thank you in advance and I am sorry for the quality of the pictures.

Sincerely yours,

Juha

post-3167-0-81598800-1503569749_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-29910400-1503569889_thumb.jpg

post-3167-0-09327500-1503569902_thumb.jpgpost-3167-0-49113700-1503569913_thumb.jpgpost-3167-0-25189300-1503569929_thumb.jpgpost-3167-0-05790300-1503569940_thumb.jpgpost-3167-0-25758900-1503569950_thumb.jpgpost-3167-0-58533400-1503569971_thumb.jpg

That is quite a funny coincidence. I already saw such a blade not a long time ago. In may I was in Japan and I went to Kuraya Hashimoto shop in Kyoto. He had such a blade for sale which was also mounted in tanto fittings. He told me it was a yari and that the nakago was cut down..... I never saw such a blade before...... :dunno:

• Like 2

Very interesting design, thank you for sharing. Makes a lot of a sense as a side-arm to use a triangular cross-sections dirk.

Is it repurposed from another weapon (yari) or is it originally designed as a tanto? Looks like the latter to me but I really wouldn't know. 

Kuraya Hashimoto shop in Kyoto opposite Nijo castle is a wonderful place to experience swords. Regarding the tanto, it gives me a feeling of a yomeiri tanto, possibly a re purposed yari. The mei. adds to the auspicious nature of the gift.  Meiji era , and a thoughtful  gift indeed.. Sharp and delicate.

As I mentioned to Juha, my belief is that these tanto are in their fully original sugata and are not repurposed yari. I have examined three in hand and all appeared to be ubu. Now with the additional examples in this thread, I have seen seven and every one has a near identical sugata. I believe this is simply a rare tsukuri-komi.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..