Thoughts On This Type 98

Corry

Dear Corry.

(Apologies if that is not your name.)   Genuine shingunto, I think I can see a small stamp above the date inscription.  I have owned one gunto with a black lacquer saya so this may be original.  No signs of paint straying onto the saya fittings?   That might indicate a repaint.  You might also find spots where the original colour shows through in places where there has been a knock if it is a repaint.  By the by, is the saya metal or wood?

You Ok with the mei?

All the best.

Dear Corry.

(Apologies if that is not your name.)   Genuine shingunto, I think I can see a small stamp above the date inscription.  I have owned one gunto with a black lacquer saya so this may be original.  No signs of paint straying onto the saya fittings?   That might indicate a repaint.  You might also find spots where the original colour shows through in places where there has been a knock if it is a repaint.  By the by, is the saya metal or wood?

You Ok with the mei?

All the best.

Thanks Geraint! As far as the scabbard paint goes, the seller says, "The scabbard is black and not the traditional creamy color that you normally see. I believe this was a period done thing for whatever reason." I don't read Japanese, but does the mei look good to you? I am not sure if the scabbard is wood or metal wrapped wood as this was an online auction. I probably paid a bit on the high side, but do you think $1575 is ok, or did I get fleeced? My knowledge is limited to NCO swords, so i am a bit of a novice. Thanks again, Cheers!

Thanks Geraint! As far as the scabbard paint goes, the seller says, "The scabbard is black and not the traditional creamy color that you normally see. I believe this was a period done thing for whatever reason." I don't read Japanese, but does the mei look good to you? I am not sure if the scabbard is wood or metal wrapped wood as this was an online auction. I probably paid a bit on the high side, but do you think $1575 is ok, or did I get fleeced? My knowledge is limited to NCO swords, so i am a bit of a novice. Thanks again, Cheers!

Oops, the total for the sword was $1575, not $1676.

Plenty of examples of black saya. Most had combat covers though. That's not a worry.

Looks fine otherwise. Chippy mei and what looks like a stamp so likely Seki showato. Painted kanji intact which is nice. They did paint gendi blades too, but the stamp and mei almost certainly indicate non-traditional.

Were I a collector of 98s I'd think 1k fair.

• Like 1

Corry,

Nice gunto buddy! The date is 1943, but I can't read smith names.

The black saya is completely normal. You'll see one here, on the Ohmura site (along with many other colors, not normally seen): http://ohmura-study.net/904.html

Price: I've paid way over market value for 2 or 3 of my gunto, but I REALLY wanted them, so it's worth it to me!

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..