How Bad Is This Hamon Ware?

JohnK

I've recently purchased a nice mumei wakizashi to aid in my study.

Close examination reveals what looks like a horizontal crack in the hamon just below the kissaki. 

Where the crack terminates near the kissaki it seems to continue on the other side.

I didn't pay much for the blade so flaws are not an issue for me, I'm just wondering if a polish is a waste of time and simply make it worse?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

John.

post-4154-0-53457000-1502925151_thumb.jpg

post-4154-0-21996400-1502925176_thumb.jpg

Hi Grey.

This was very cheap! Still, I'm less concerned about the financial outcome as I simply want to get the blade looking as good as possible. I think a signed wak in excellent polish is likely to cost a lot more. Additionally, where's the fun in just picking up a signed, papered already polished sword? I want to go on a journey and learn, possibly the hard way!

• Like 2

John

The fact it appears to go through the blade suggests a potentially serious problem. If it was on one side it is possible that polishing would make it worse but might still be worthwhile.

If it does go through the blade has been seriously compromised and weakened and polishing certainly wont improve it.

On a slightly different note gentlemen we appear to becoming rather two dimensional in our advise lately. While I agree 100% with Grey's comments, financial viability is not the only consideration when deciding whether to polish a sword. On several occasions I have decided to have a blade polished knowing I was unlikely to recover the cost should I eventually sell it. This did not make financial sense but I felt the blade was worth the effort and curious to see what it could tell me when it's details more clearly visible. In those cases I have gained from the process and learned more about the swords concerned. 

We are not (or at least if we have any sense shouldn't be) in this subject purely for financial gain and yes on occasion it is likely that having work polished or other restoration carried out will end up costing more than we are likely to recover. While an important consideration it should not be the governing factor.

In this case John I would put your sword in front of some experienced collectors and ask their opinion. Armed with that you can then decide what you want to do.

• Like 4

Thanks Paul. Many antiques are restored even when they're not financially viable, even when they're not particularly notable.

I'll try and take it to a To-do Society meeting and get some opinions. At approx €650 I don't feel that I'm too badly done to as it has a beautiful hamon and had so plenty to study.

John,

You are going to pay let say 800/1000£ for a polishing to remove a ware on a,mumei wakizashi without any guarantee. Two days ago there was in NMB sale section a signed Hizen wakizashi by good smiths (dai saku mei) for 1350$ or so...

If money is not a problem for you, have your fun, but this is not the right path to study. Collecting and learning can be fun but only by studying good blades, if you are interested by Nihonto, go to Token meetings, become a Token member, and attend as many shows/fairs where you can see and study good blades in polish.

• Like 2

Hello,

thoughts,

1. Ware in the hamon cannot be closed or made tighter, the metal cannot be moved/pushed around as it could be in the hada. The other problem with ware is the possibility of becoming larger, opening up, ouch. 2. Perhaps, additional images might reveal something unexpected, otherwise I do not see anything promising so far. 3. The possibility of finding a mumei wakizashi well worthy of polishing does exist, but that requires the skill and ability to recognize (kantei) a hidden gem in the rough, and a little luck.

• Like 2

In 90% of these cases, the polish spoken about is going to be an amateur or non traditional one Paul. You know that as well as I do.
Not claiming it is the case here...but that's the unfortunate facts on these swords that are picked up for decent prices...maybe under GBP1500?

John, I know you're excited about your new blade, but please listen to voices of experience. You're not going to learn a darn useful thing from polishing a mumei wakizashi with what might end up being a hagire. If you bring it to a reputable polisher, he'll tell you the exact same thing.

Ken

40 years ago as I was very enthusiastic with Nihonto and had been suckered by a dealer in buying a gimei, suriage wakizashi and wanted to have it restored, an older collector told me: "Forget it and don't mistake Nihonto Collecting for Salvation Army. Keep your money for a good sword". Lesson learned.

• Like 3

Hi John,

I understand exactly why would you want to polish the blade, it is a quite exciting journey bringing something to live and even if i think Grey is right that mumei blades are not worth all that then other side of me say go for it :) I did the same thing actually! I went for it and got the blades in good hands to be polished only because i have seen something in that blade that was telling me it would pay off + the fact the i bought the blade super cheap as someone though it was a junk. It was a gamble but  i am happy with all that journey and it gave me a lot more that just nice blade on the rack - and after polish bladees shows quite a lot of characteristics of Hizen Tadayoshi blades...will never know for sure though but who knows :) Have a look on the photos before and after and maybe that will help make your mind up :)

Lukas

Before:

post-3670-0-34837500-1503143985_thumb.jpg

post-3670-0-60706700-1503143993_thumb.jpg

post-3670-0-51255700-1503144011_thumb.jpg

After:

post-3670-0-31279400-1503144028_thumb.jpg

post-3670-0-29367000-1503144035_thumb.jpg

post-3670-0-69351600-1503144040_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..