Kanzan Sato Seals

Japan2112

I have read several contradictory explanations on this but from my experience the hakogaki with two seals are usually the most legitimate and higher quality. 

I believe this one is to third generation and looks legitimate.

PS:  There are so many forgeries of these hakogaki I couldn't begin to count, even with fake hanko.

Thanks, Pete.

That is what I was guessing, as he praises the iron. Here is a translation of the hakogaki (courtesy of Markus S.)

Mark

Lid:

Akasaka sandai saku 赤坂三代作 Akasaka work of the 3rd generation

Akasaka futatsu-hiki kiri-sukashi tsuba 二引桐透鐔 Twofold hiki bar and paulownia sukashi

Inside:

marugata tetsu-ji sukashibori 丸形鉄地透彫 maru gata, iron, sukashi bori

mumei Akasaka sandai 無銘赤坂三代 unsigned, 3rd generation Akasaka

jigane yoroshii 地鉄宜矣 excellent iron

Shôwa hinoto-hitsujidoshi haru 昭和丁未年春 Spring - year of the sheep of the Shôwa era

Kanzan shirusu 寒山誌 written by Kanzan (1967)

Well, quite nice!  Masatora was working in the second half of the 17th century and one can begin to see the cross-over from Higo concepts in style.  I've found the shape of the kogai hitsuana to be rather individual to Masatora, being somewhat larger than his predecessors.  I like to refer to it as, 'Capezzoli di Venere (Nipples of Venus)'...!  LOL  I must have been watching, 'Amadeus' when I though of it...never know!  LOL

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..