Chromed And Fullered Type 98

Thanks Bruce for the followup.  So the assembly number is 11 and that is the only marking that shows up.  A few more questions to assist in classifying the sword, does the blade have an edge to it and could it be used as a sword if need be?  Is the hamon acid etched like on some parade/dress swords from this time frame?   What is the weight difference between this and a standard Type 94/98?

Considering that there were few swordsmiths around during the 1934 to 1938 time frame, it does not surprise me that so many non-traditional made blades show up in the early Type 94 and 98s.  In those early years, there would have been a need for an economy version of the 94/98 and the sword companies stepped up to the plate to supply them.  The one pictured above appears to fall into this category.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:34 AM, Kiipu said:

Thanks Bruce for the followup.  So the assembly number is 11 and that is the only marking that shows up.  A few more questions to assist in classifying the sword, does the blade have an edge to it and could it be used as a sword if need be?  Is the hamon acid etched like on some parade/dress swords from this time frame?   What is the weight difference between this and a standard Type 94/98?

Considering that there were few swordsmiths around during the 1934 to 1938 time frame, it does not surprise me that so many non-traditional made blades show up in the early Type 94 and 98s.  In those early years, there would have been a need for an economy version of the 94/98 and the sword companies stepped up to the plate to supply them.  The one pictured above appears to fall into this category.

Thomas,

It is not sharp, though it feels as if the unfinished blade was made with a good edge, the chrome finish has  dulled it.  It seems to match the couple of chromed 95s in other discussions, like maybe this was done in that rare year of peacetime ('37-'38?) when blades were required to be dull.  The hamon appears to be artificial, as you can see a section where it is rubbed smooth by sliding in and out of the saya.  But as that's applied to the chromed surface, there is no way to know if the actual steel was hardened prior to plating.

IMG_2174.thumb.jpg.5d958818046e87570f5f2934256d3d79.jpg

The overall length is equal to my Mantetsu, but you can see the tsuka is a bit smaller. 

IMG_2165.thumb.jpg.28016cf5a9d709c20c1cd8e107badd38.jpgIMG_2166.thumb.jpg.7847dc2abe1ce7a046fdf656bab0974f.jpg

The blade is only very slightly slimmer than the 98, with weight, in hand, only barely perceptibly lighter. 

IMG_2167.thumb.jpg.58aa40bb8e9f29015114fec9dbbfffd8.jpgIMG_2173.thumb.jpg.fa9ef5f31fc3964aa3bccf138321ad15.jpgIMG_2175.thumb.jpg.dd31e9cc4a5abd9c1aa1d20288fd552c.jpg

It feels like a weapon, in hand.  Nothing like the flimsy Type 19 dress sword.  So, I think you're onto something with your thoughts about an attempt at economy and/or speedily mass produced, that could be used if needed.  It is the only thing that explains the massive wear on the saya, to me.  Would a dress sword see so much external wear?

So, it's not one of the slim-line swords I had thought it to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiipu said:

Bruce, can you measure the width of the blade at the junction of the tsuba so as to compare to the one linked below.  Note the distinct size difference compared to yours.

Light weight/Dress Shingunto

Yes, mine is 1.05in (26.7mm) at the edge of the habaki.

At the yakote: 19.05mm

Bohi begins: 2.9mm from mune and is 7.38mm wide.

• Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..