Markus Sesko - A Recommendation

I would like to take a minute to recommend the (paid) services and publications of Markus Sesko to any Nihonto enthusiast.

Markus is not only a very friendly person but one of the foremost authorities on translating Nihonto related Japanese works into English.

His books are a great asset for any collector and highly recommended. If you do not own them yet, go for them!

https://markussesko.com/books/

Investing in excellent books first is a much smarter investment then buying a sword. Having his books will pay off in many ways and are a must have for your library.

Furthermore Markus offers translation services at very reasonable and thus affordable cost as well as appraisals.

If you have some though Sayagaki, Signature or Origami he is the man to ask. Markus can also give you an appraisal to count own at a modest price.

I can recommend him without hesitation and admire his oppinion.

• Like 11

I wholeheartedly agree with the chorus of praise for Markus.  I had a chance to get to know him as he stayed with us during the Chicago show and I have extended the offer for him to do the same for every Chicago show from here on.  He is a quiet, humble and very friendly guy who is enthralled with nihonto, has a huge intellectual appetite for knowledge and has a true gift for languages.  He is working so hard to make available to all of us English speaking collectors a literature which was never within our grasp without learning to read kanji well enough to read ourselves.  He is also uniquely educated in reading old and ancient kanji, characters which everyday Japanese people can't read and which are associated specifically to the sword.  His brilliance in the field is starting to get him entry to seeing and appraising some of the finest collections in the world, and I hope that he can develop some great photography skills and find the ability to document these collections for all of us.  Sorry to go on about this, but I can say that Markus' writings have opened up a completely new and exciting dimension to collecting Japanese swords for me and I am eternally grateful.  Cheers, Bob

• Like 6

And not to detract at all from all the things said about Markus...but watching the progress some of our other members have made in translating and understanding sword-related language really impresses me. We have more than just a tiny handful of people that bode well for the future of translating, although no-where near at the same level as Markus. But guys, some of you impress me daily.

• Like 6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..