Interesting Menpo

javier

I will post my thoughts, and they are just mine. The odoshi on the tare is "aged" and mucky and dirty. Look at some of the cross-knots and how nasty filthy they are. Now look at the pristine bear fur. Makes you go hummmmm.

Makes me think a restoration or change has occurred post original production.

• 2 weeks later...

I will post my thoughts, and they are just mine. The odoshi on the tare is "aged" and mucky and dirty. Look at some of the cross-knots and how nasty filthy they are. Now look at the pristine bear fur. Makes you go hummmmm.

Makes me think a restoration or change has occurred post original production.

It is described as being "probably hare"....as in a rabbit type fur....not "bear"...and it does not look "pristine" at all to me.

Shokumō menpō

Furred samurai armor mask

Mid to late Edo period

19th century

The mask is built in two parts and the nose can be detached. The entire surface of the menpō and the last plate on the yodarekake is covered with a soft fur, probably hare.

Originally, hair-covered menpō and kabuto were made to protect against the rain, usually using bear-fur, but in this case the surface is intended to be decorative. The most famous armor completely furred is probably the one owned by Katagiri Matsumoto (1556-1615) now at Osaka Castle Museum. A kabuto covered with a similar fur, not bear-fur, was used by Matsudaira Chikatada, and there are not many known suits of armor that bear this kind of surface.

04cc29542dbff1564a4ef63c36dcfc17.jpg

0bb8a4a021cb30dbfe3f32144095086b.jpg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..