Custom Koshirae From Aoi

Guest Rayhan

Guest Rayhan

Hi all

Just wanted to share some custom Koshirae work done for my Aoe by Aoi Art Japan. It was a lengthy process and has been well documented but in essence,

over 5000 pieces of Japanese blue Abalone, completely done by hand

Edo period fittings

Hope you like it!

post-3929-0-38371000-1501655869_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I think it is really beautiful Rayhan.  I would be super careful about storage though.  Exposure to extreme dry, or wet air might make some of the MOP or the underlying wood move around and crack/split the lacquer.  What a treasure!   It would have been interesting to have fittings with some cloisonne  as the mounts.  Here is a nice tsuba for it.  Cheers, Bob

post-620-0-04153800-1501760927_thumb.png

• Like 1

That. is. Awesome.  I don't usually like flashy colors and on my koshirae, but I have to say that looks amazing.  I personally would've gone with a darker blue ito, instead of the sky blue...but I'm still loving it as is.  Nice work man. 

I can't even imagine the amount of time and detail that had to go into making that saya.  You guys have apparently learned a measure of patience that has yet eluded me, I would've chewed my hand off while waiting for that to be finished.

Guest Rayhan

Thank you for the kind words guys and sorry for the late replies:

Stephen the artist is  Mizuo Tachibana, Studio Tamao, 301 4-18-21 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken, Japan

Robert, thank you for sharing the Tsuba, it is beautiful.

Matt, the sword it goes with is a Juyo Aoe (picture attached). The reason I chose this theme is many people describe the Chirimen Hada as crushed silk but I liken the hada to the morning waves that break on black sand beaches. So I wanted an element of the ocean there, with water fowl. 

post-3929-0-88624800-1501816172_thumb.jpg

The saya took 9 months from concept to completion and the entire project almost a year. In bright light you can see the blue and green hues, in darker light it is black and purple. 

I have 3 more projects with Aoi being created by the artist Shokan Matsuda so when ready I will post them here too.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..