Guinomi By Watanabe Aiko

sabi

As a student of early iron tsuba and the Momoyama period as a whole, I suppose it was only a matter of time before I made the jump to ceramics.

A few months ago I picked up a couple books on the subject (shocker, they were CHEAP!), and was instantly hooked. Drawn to the rustic simplicity of Bizen, bold and free spirited Oribe and Seto, and my favorite; the slouchy, irregular yet sublimely powerful wares of Iga and Shigaraki.

My interest in the latter took off, and it wasn't long before I yearned for a piece of my own. A while back I took a liking to nigori sake, so what better place to start than a guinomi!

This cup measures 2.5" tall, 2" wide and holds just under 3oz of the drink of your choice. I have used it frequently over the past couple months, and as wonderful it is to admire, it's even better in action. A good guinomi must have both of these qualities IMO. This cup is easy in the hand, drinks well from any position around the lip and has zero wobble.

The aesthetics of this piece encompass everything that I fell for in Iga works. While small and unable to command the kind of power you would get from a mizusashi or even a chawan, this little guy has an amazing presence and the spirit of the artist is in clear view.

The cup was laid down on it's side where the red area remains untouched by the natural ash glaze. There are scorch marks left behind by two seashells that were burned during the firing. The shells are also the cause of the copper orange hues that form a halo around them, due to the salt content. Light green glaze covers the rest of the body, and pools to a stunning dark green tombo no me (dragonfly eye). Peach and sunset tones line the interior and provide a beautiful contrast against hazy white, unfiltered nigori.

Above all of this, I think the form of the cup steals the show. From every angle, the quintessential Iga slouchiness is present but never bordering on sloppy or careless. The overall mood is strong and dignified despite its intentional lean.

Here is a quick write up on Aiko San as well for those who are interested:

http://www.artisticnippon.com/product/igayaki/watanabe_aiko/watanabe_aiko_article1.html

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and reading my unnecessarily long write up about a single cup. Doing this helps my pursuit of understanding ceramics, which has only just begun!

IMG_20170801_0734081532_zpswne8w0iz.jpg

IMG_20170801_0734304842_zpscqozb3vd.jpg

IMG_20170801_0733507512_zpsnyefwffp.jpg

IMG_20170801_0736036582_zpsiusqtfpu.jpg

IMG_20170801_0735079872_zps3kwjurku.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Alton!  I have one recent acquisition that I'll be posting soon!

Thomas,

You're spot on, the aesthetic qualities are intertwined so it's very easy to be attracted to another form of art.  My interest was sparked by the relationship between old iron tsuba and ceramics, and it blew up from there.  That's a lovely tsuba you have there and it totally radiates with Bizen vibes - wonderful color and depth.    

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..