Kojima Kanemichi On Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kojima-Kanemichi-Gendaito-In-Good-Polish-/172790731541?hash=item283b215315:g:8gIAAOSwkaZZdAGC

After much debate, I decided to post the eBay Kanemichi here. I wonder if the seller is a member of this forum. This sword was discussed here before, and what the seller described as "a minor flaw under the habaki that could likely come out in polish" is in fact a hagire. I will send the seller a message through ebay, but thought to post it here as well in case he is a member here.

Hoanh

• Like 1

I sent him an ebay message, and he revised his listing accordingly.  He is an honest seller who has done the honorably thing.  Hats off to him and no complaints from me.

Hoanh

• Like 1

He asked me about the hagire, too, & I warned him that if a samurai-wannabe swung the sword, & it broke, he might be personally liable. And that collectors simply don't buy blades with known hagire. I suggested that if he bought the blade recently, he should get a full refund from the seller, too.

Ken

• Like 1

This sword used to be mine. I sold that sword to a member here about 8-9 months ago now. It was listed here and sold at a very discounted price (about 1/4 value) with full disclosure of the hagire with pictures. I have an email from Moses becerra that says he can remove the hagire by 90% as if it were never there. He recommended this when personally I inquired about O-Suriage. He says it's not necessary. I sold it to the current owner with records of this opinion from Moses, in the event he wanted to follow through.

I'd also like to add that I think the sword has passed hands at least once since I sold it as the current (or previous?) owner contacted me about 4 months ago looking for me to re-send the high res photos of the hagire so he could provide them to a potential buyer..

If it's shallow enough and outside of the cutting edge you can simply erase it. Theoretically it shouldn't effect structural integrity. The polisher would basically shave the Nakago down flush with the hagire.

If it's shallow enough and outside of the cutting edge you can simply erase it. Theoretically it shouldn't effect structural integrity. The polisher would basically shave the Nakago down flush with the hagire.

In this case it would remove so much nakago the result would be a frankensword that nobody would buy.

If you hired a polisher to make it o-suriage and gakumei the cost of doing that would be higher than the value of the remaining work.

This one will go around and around as people speculate on it, buying a good smith "Cheap" and getting burned. Once they are burned they will pop it back into the market disclosed, or undisclosed, depending on how good a person they are.

• Like 2

He has a sword channel on YouTube. He posts a lot of videos. His name is Mathew Jenson. I have spoke with him many times over the years. He is a practioner...

He also has a Koto wakizashi listed for short money. He is a very trustworthy person who would make things right if there ever was an issue. He is a member on this forum but I don't know his screen name. He recommended this forum to me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..