Jsc-Mw First Meeting Reminder

All,

We are just one week from our first meeting. As a reminder, this will be a show and tell event. Here is the loose agenda:

Introductions:

- What did you bring? (Not required to bring something)​

- What do you collect and why does that interest you?

- How and why did you get started collecting?

Brief Sword Etiquette: Grey Doffin

Show and Tell Display Session

General Discussion of the Club's Future

- What would you like to see?

- What would you like to not see?​

- Next meeting discussion

- Japanese Obon Festival participation

Entrance to this event will be $5 to help pay for the conference room. We will have swords represented from Koto to Shinsakuto and it will be an excellent event to see some great swords and make new connections in our Nihonto community.

As indicated in the agenda, Grey Doffin will be on hand. For this that don't know, Grey runs the http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.comwebsite. If there is anything that you would like to see, please contact him ahead of the meeting at grey@japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com.

I also believe that Andy Quirt will be in attendance and he runs the http://www.nihonto.uswebsite. If there is anything from his site that you'd like to see, please email him at info@nihonto.us.

The meeting will start at 1:00 next Saturday at the Holiday Inn Express, in Vadnais Heights, MN (1100 Co Rd E East, Vadnais Heights, MN 55110).

For questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at info@jsc-mw.com and I look forward to meeting you there.

https://www.jsc-mw.com/meetingsandevents

From what I saw on FB, and excellent event, wonderful turnout and well organized. Congrats to all. Getting that many people to a local gathering is difficult. I think you guys will have a good thing going there. Congrats Joe!
Nice one.

Hello All,

The first meeting of the JSC-MW was a success. We had 12 people in attendance, which, while about what I expected, was more than I could ask for! Swords of all eras were represented. Grey brought some excellent tokubetsu hozen blades (A lovely hizento and an old Osafune Bizen tanto from the 1500's). Derek brought a Magoroku Kanemoto, recently polished by Mukansa Togishi Kenji Mishina. A couple gentlemen brought some swords for information. Linda brought some live shinkin to show us modern practical blades. Wayne brought a couple of nice swords and one was a Ko-Uda wakizashi. It was my highlight. I've seen dozens of ko-uda and uda blades online and as a "gendai guy", I never paid much attention. This one had a very lively hamon and excellent jigane. Jon Straub brought some good stuff too, more focused on unique types of fittings

Quite a few folks liked the Swords that I brought in but overall, I think it was a well received event. I will put a meeting on the group for our next meeting, which will be held on 11/2 in conjunction with the Minneapolis Sword show. Markus Sesko has agreed to give a lecture, as has Chris Bowen. I am looking for a third lecturer, ideally focused on fittings, but if not, I'm not terribly picky. ????

post-736-0-95565500-1501437269_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-47246400-1501437289_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-56734000-1501437314_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-24823900-1501437358_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks to Joe for putting this together. It was a great way to spend an afternoon. It was an interesting group makeup with a variety of interests and experience, all willing to talk and share. I liked the "show and tell" theme of the meeting. You can never look at too many swords and this meeting had a nice mixture from Koto to Gendaito. I'm looking forward to the next meeting during the Minneapolis Show.

Again, thanks Joe!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..