Honjo Masamune Oshigata

Smells of an elaborate fraud... 

I absolutely cannot see most of his "Masamune patterns"

Videos were posted 8 months ago, and sometimes years ago. In that time I'm sure a few masamune experts carefully looked at them, and concluded it was most likely a fraud. Still, the legend is alive. The first thing to do would be to compare the exact geometry of the Oshigata with the blade. I don't see this anywhere... 

However, Masamune or not, the blade does have a lot going for it under the surface. Bright chickei and some probably sumptuous activity. I surmise you could have a similar result with the likes of a good Shizu in need of polish. 

EDIT: and indeed, it's an old fraud. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWORDS/comments/2fbfv4/youtube_user_fiddlin4you_claims_to_have_the_lost/ 

Isnt there a bigger issue here. The sword shown has bo-hi, the oshigata doesn't. Are we to assume thisis ato-bori or am I missing something?

It cracks me up everytime I see this video, clearly whoever made off with it also seamlessly inlaid the steel back before using it as a garden tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends,

It is difficult to let something die, especially when there are features in the sword that aren’t Kaga Kiyomitsu.

Mei and oshigata comparisons aside, let’s look at the one characteristic that really matters. The Steel.

-If there are “Sparkling” hardened spots of nie gathered above the hamon, aren’t they Yubashiri?

Look at this video in ½ speed, at 0:49 seconds, watch as the sunlight hits the left of the sword. A few inches to the right on top the hamon will be a rounded sparkling mound with fingers of nie that shoot out the top. Like a sunrise over the horizon.

Now go to 3:21 of the video. On the left will be the sunlight, look to the right for a sparkling hardened rounded area above hamon.

At 3:25 of the video on the far right will be two flashes. One over the hamon and one just underneath the Hi. The upper being made of a solid concentrated line of nie. At that point there is another at the center of the screen and when the sun moves, just briefly can the area be seen.

And again at 3:46 is a good shot of the first one again.

Like the descriptions, they appear transparent at first.

https://youtu.be/GBAK6l3HIrI

-Also, please consider the thick bountiful Chikei all over the blade along with the fact that the “Hataraki in the Hamon goes to the Ha”.  Isn’t “Hataraki in hamon going to the Ha” a kantei point to elite Soshu? I think Darcy pointed this out.

-There are many nie that come out in a kaleidoscope of Yellow, red, green, purple.

I hope one day to have it polished and perhaps I will share when I do.

All the best everyone,

Your friend, Stephen T.

I should probably bite my tongue, but Stephen there are several individuals in North America who can be trusted to competently execute a madoake. I suggest having one done and if your sword clearly shows workmanship consistent with high level Soshu, we can discuss further. I do not see what you are seeing, and I feel that I know what to expect from an early Soshu. What I do see is a sword with a fairly tight nioi-guchi. I will defer additional comments pending more visibility (aka full restoration or madoake).

Best regards,

Ray

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I hope this is Ok with you Brian. 

.A window was done on the Omote Monouchi and Tip. The Ura seems to be more nie laden but it was decided to put a window in the Omote because the Hi lines would need some work and the Togishi chose not to tackle it. 

In the pictures I have prepared, in the first one, look for the Chikei.

I love the wild curved parallel Chikei, if that's how its describe it.?

The second picture will show parallel curved segmented Hataraki from the Hamon to Ha. Also on the left, a ball from the hamon to Ha-saki.

I wish I could show the true color of the Hamon/Ha. It literally glows with a silky bright titanium color. Never have I seen anything like it. 

My pictures may not turn out well. If not, PM me.

All the best my friends, 

Stephen T.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Haha 1

Your welcome JP

I put up these 3 videos.

The first one is not a comparison but just is of a section in need of full polish. This side is opposite of the pictures above. Look closely at the twisting Chikei and thick lines of Hataraki running down through the Hamon to the

Ha-saki. 

All the best friends,
Stephen  T.
  • Downvote 1

Thank you Stephen. :)

EDIT:

Okay, have seen them and have to admit it is intriguing. I'm not convinced it is the sword because I’m sure you can see a lot of things that aren’t there in an unpolished sword AND the bohi goes against it, still... intriguing and certainly a very nice sword that would justify a polish imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valric said:

Time to put the brakes on the swindle. 

Get it polished, send it for paper, maybe you get a nice attribution. Sell it or consign it with a dealer. Take your money and buy bitcoin. 

This. Its no Masamune until its been polished and papered as such by a reputable body. If you're so confident that it is: put your money where your mouth is and get the work done. You aren't going to convince anyone until its got that paperwork. Masamune blades deserve that recognition. So time to make it happen!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Speaking of comparing the Honjo oshigata to a blade, I wonder if everyone else can see the patterns I'm seeing in this comparison, especially the rectangular shape next to the elf shoe shape. It might help to zoom in and out to get a feel for the shapes.

Honjo Oshigata.jpg

post-191-14196843022779.jpg

• Confused 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..