Matchlock Signature

Just got home, but making little progress. 榎並屋 Is just about readable. Even my sword teacher had difficulties when I showed him your post over a bowl of Takamatsu Sanuki udon. (Sword meet today.)

Above the mekugi ana, and to the right.

The top three characters above the mekugi ana are problematical. Is the last one 作 and if so, why? He agreed on Makibari to the right, the method of barrel forging.

Below the mekugi ana.

There were about 180 榎並屋 Enamiya gunsmiths, but narrowing down the field is especially tough when starting with that next kanji. What is it? Looking for 辻 汁 or something, but none of the names start like that, except maybe 佐... ?

If so, then there were 19 smiths with lower names starting with 佐 Sa.

The next question is what follows Sa, and comes before 作 at the end, are there two kanji, or three kanji? They are pretty corroded. I could send you a photo of the listed candidates and let you find one that fits?

Be prepared for the worst. None of the 'Enamiya Sa...' smiths made a known/listed gun with a date on it, even if you do find the individual smith name.

• Like 1

PS Just had a flash of inspiration! That could be 摂泉住 at the very top, which is how one or two of these 'Sa' smiths signed. 泉 Izumi indicated the south of Osaka.

That could just narrow it down to Settsu Izumi Ju Enamiya Sahyoei/Sabei/Sahei Saku, either 佐兵衛 or 佐平 because the other candidates names are too long to fit in there! Possibly even the same smith as they sometimes kept the same sound but changed their kanji.

摂泉住榎並屋佐兵衛作...?

• Like 2

Well knock me down with a feather! Finally got back on. This is the most difficult site to get too. If I can get back here tomorrow I will post photos of the rest of the matchlock. Meanwhile, thank you very very much Bugyotsugi! Wow that was great info.

• Like 1

Well knock me down with a feather! Finally got back on. This is the most difficult site to get too. If I can get back here tomorrow I will post photos of the rest of the matchlock. Meanwhile, thank you very very much Bugyotsugi! Wow that was great info.

Bob,

Can you explain what is difficult about getting here? :)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..