Picture's from the new Boston MFA Exhibition

The new exhibition runs until October 5, 2008

There are three swords in the exhibition.

Nagamitsu Tachi

Kanetane Wakizashi

Rai Kunitoshi Tanto

The Nagamitsu Tachi is the most impressive sword I have ever seen!

If you live in the Northeast it would be well worth the trip to view the swords they are all wonderful swords.

I have attatched some picture's of the swords.

Take care

Dino

post-619-14196744766222_thumb.jpg

post-619-14196744767554_thumb.jpg

post-619-1419674476862_thumb.jpg

post-619-14196744770093_thumb.jpg

post-619-14196744771355_thumb.jpg

The Nagamitsu is signed, they have some foam pieces under the blade for protection. The exhibition is quite small, they have some laquered pieces: writing boxes,table, they have some pottery, inscent game?, kimomono's and a strange looking object that looks like a hour glass? I am going back down this weekend and I will try to take somemore picture's and get more information.

I have some other picture's I will post later, I have to reduce the size of them before I can attach them.

Dino

Guest reinhard
I know that tachi are displayed edge down, but is that really the way to display it if it is a bare blade?
If it's signed, then the answer is "yes".

Unsigned tachi are usually treated as katana, for most of them are o-suriage. Usually it takes a signature to define them as tachi (which are displayed cutting-edge down).

reinhard

On a side note: most Japanese museums and dealers even display Katana edge down if they have a Tachi-mei, like most Hizentô have. I've sometimes even seen them edge up with a mirror behind the Nakago, but think this solution is a little awkward.

Because traditionally swords are displayed the way they are carried. In this care, tachi are carried edge down, and hence why they are displayed this way. I was just concerned about standing them on edge, but tradition overrules all else.

Also, the nagako of a sword at rest usually is on the left, to show no bad intentions to grab it for use with the right hand.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..