Updates Still In Progress, But What Do You Think?

SwordGuyJoe

All,

I have been doing a lot of work on the website for the Japanese Sword Club - Midwest.  I have been posting as I go on Facebook, but I know some don't participate there.  Please take a look and I would love some feedback about design, flow, etc.  All tabs in the menu have been updated.  I recently have been working a lot on the "Member Collection" section and trying to populate it with my collection, then once I am done, request from members other examples.  Given the source, obviously the examples are tilted towards Gendaito and Shinsakuto, but I do have one koto example thanks to a cash and sword trade with Javen (Thanks bud!).

If you are willing to take a look and give me some constructive feedback, I would appreciate it.  Please go to www.jsc-mw.com and select the member collection from the menu and pick the era of interest.  Here is my progress:

- Koto: 1 Sword linked with write up and pics

- Shinto: 0

- Shinshinto: 0

- Gendaito: 7 linked with write ups and pics, 4 left to do

- Shinsakuto: 5 linked etc., 6 left to do

I should be done by the end of the week with the rest.  Let me know what you think!

It's nice. I don't like the background color coupled with the deep blue font on top, and I find the icons below distracting as they come out too sharply from the otherwise subdued and calm feel. Perhaps go for a plain black/dark grey background and smaller donate/mailing list etc icons? Or add a tab for these. I like the sword page more, but there I could do without the white canvas and just let the text/image float in the background. Of this this is highly subjective and just my opinion, and in any case it's a fantastic start! 

Thanks Valric! Unfortunately, I had to go with the blue since I was too dumb to change the font color from white (which is what it was at the beginning) to black or gray when the menu tab was selected. Blue was visible and readable both when selected and Unselected, so that's what I went with. I am somewhat a slave to the format though, since most is canned/out of the box and while I know a bit about web design, I don't have access to the code to make changes that I could make in Dreamweaver (if that's even still a program).

I really like the idea of an online museum with very high quality pictures. The community is so spread out across the globe, and for those of us who aren't in Japan or the US, it's hard to go to meetings. 

So far, we have Darcy's fantastic website, and Aoiart.net which are both good sources for high quality blades.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..