Beginner Question About Jihada

javier

Hi forum colleagues.

I was looking forward to learn more about the folding process that leads to the creation of each type of Jihada

I have been reading books and I was able to understand how Masame and Itame types are developed.

Could someone in the forum please let me know how the following basic patterns are creacted? Ayasugi; Muji and Mokume

Please consider that I am not a swordsmith or a chemist engineer I am just trying to reach "basic and low level" information in order to understand the difference in the folding, quenching and hammering process that leads to each of these Jihada types.

Javier

Javier,
The reason there is no real answer to your question, is that it can't be easily answered. If you fold and mix the steel too much, you lose the grain pattern, and the steel gets too homogenous...."muji"
But how the others are formed requires a knowledge of how the steel is folded. Different ways of folding and hammering = different hada. Hit circles into it, and fold in certain ways...you get ayasugi etc...
The damascus steel makers would understand better how the steel reacts to folding and layering.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..