Odachi

YOJIMBO

for sale this : http://www.arcimboldo.cz/en/auctions/asian-works-of-art-8/katalog/3574/a-huge-and-rare-sword-odachi/

I can send more photos on request.

10 000 EURO

A rarely seen sword type, has the koshirae been dated? Is it being auctioned or is it a direct sale?

A HUGE AND RARE SWORD ODACHI

Japan, Muromachi Period (15th/16th century). Overall length 186 cm, blade 121 cm. Hon zukuri, iori mune fumbari, furisode nakago, hada masame/itame, hamon midare, suguha etc., sori 15 cm. Koshirae: ebi saya decorated with raden, brass kanagu, iron kaku mokko gata tsuba. Tetsu migaki ji fuchi and kabutogane, menuki with dragons.

That looks more like a ceremonial or decorative blade to me. O-dachi did exist and were carried by an assistant who helped with their drawing but this blade's sugata and relative dimensions seem to indicate another purpose. What do you think?

That looks more like a ceremonial or decorative blade to me.

I think it's a battle sword.

A rarely seen sword type, has the koshirae been dated? Is it being auctioned or is it a direct sale?

A HUGE AND RARE SWORD ODACHI

Japan, Muromachi Period (15th/16th century). Overall length 186 cm, blade 121 cm. Hon zukuri, iori mune fumbari, furisode nakago, hada masame/itame, hamon midare, suguha etc., sori 15 cm. Koshirae: ebi saya decorated with raden, brass kanagu, iron kaku mokko gata tsuba. Tetsu migaki ji fuchi and kabutogane, menuki with dragons.

direct sale

for sale this : http://www.arcimboldo.cz/en/auctions/asian-works-of-art-8/katalog/3574/a-huge-and-rare-sword-odachi/

I can send more photos on request.

10 000 EURO

A very radical sori, of the existing examples I have seen this one is by far has the most sori ("sori 15 cm"), can you post any additional photos here?

Would you carry an elaborate koshirae like this into battle? I don't think anyone would...

I think it's a ceremonial sword. Whatever it is, it's incredible... Wish I had the kind of discretionary funds it takes to acquire something like this.

Best on your sale.

Cheers

post-2184-0-30770700-1497869685_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..