Tsuba With Leaves

EdWolf

Hello to all,

I have found a Tsuba with leaves pattern. It has an oval shape (7.0 cm x 6.5 cm). I want to learn more about tsuba’s but it’s hard to find some online information about how to determine the age / school etc. Can one of you please guide me in right direction. All help and / or information about this Tsuba will be highly appreciated.

Regards, Ed

post-3919-0-94544000-1497343486_thumb.jpg

Thanks Manuel! Can you please tell me what is pointing you to Echizen Kinai.

Regards,

Ed

As you can see in Axel's link the design of the leaves and the style of the gold zogan point on that direction

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your toughts about this Tsuba! Is a Satsuma Tsuba a good or a bad sign. I have found online some little information about it but I’m still confused. Are Echizen Kinai and Satsuma different schools?

Regards,

Ed

An often found motif in Satsuma work is the bean pod with it's vines and leaves which is why I mentioned it as a 'possibility'.  The Satsuma tsuba shi were of all different levels of accomplishment.  Satsuma and Echizen are two distinct areas of Japan on two different islands so are not directly related.  Satsuma and Choshu workmanship is sometimes overlapped stylistically which may be due to the Boshin War period but this is conjecture on my part. 

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..