Intellectual Property Issue

IanB

I think it important to inform members of NMB that Eric Tulin, who posts here on NMB as estcrh, has copied the text and images of an article I have written for members of the Samurai Armour Forum without either notifying me nor asking my permission and posted it on a website he runs under the name of http://samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com/ In view of the fact that this article was clearly stated to be copyright it is nothing short of a flagrant act of theft of my intellectual property. This is not the first time Eric Tulin has done this - a whole section on his website headed 'The teachings of Ian Bottomley'  contains numerous articles I have published, some of which has involved many years of research. Despite the fact that I have repeatedly demanded that he stops stealing my work he persists in doing so, even having the temerity to state that my protestations are written by someone else. 

Ian Bottomley

I think it important to inform members of NMB that Eric Tulin, who posts here on NMB as estcrh, has copied the text and images of an article I have written for members of the Samurai Armour Forum without either notifying me nor asking my permission and posted it on a website he runs under the name of http://samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com/ In view of the fact that this article was clearly stated to be copyright it is nothing short of a flagrant act of theft of my intellectual property. This is not the first time Eric Tulin has done this - a whole section on his website headed 'The teachings of Ian Bottomley'  contains numerous articles I have published, some of which has involved many years of research. Despite the fact that I have repeatedly demanded that he stops stealing my work he persists in doing so, even having the temerity to state that my protestations are written by someone else. 

Ian Bottomley

Ian, you have never once contacted me personally,  you know how to do that since we have emailed back and forth for years. You do not seem to have a problem with peoples copyrighted texts being translated and distributed on the "secret section" of the samurai forum. Does this not in fact make the samurai forum a form of criminal enterprise?

You had no problem with Dave T translating and distributing three chapters from Sasama's copyrighted book which is intellectual property that involved many years of research, did you protest his copy right infringement, no you did not.

All that has happened is that your essays were placed were anyone can read them, can you explain what you have against that? Your post here has nothing to do with the thread, I think you have been influenced by Dave T's hatred of me, didnt you openly write and post your essays for people to learn from? You seem very angry, I have NEVER done anything to you to deserve your present actions. Life is short, do your thing and I will do mine. 

Dave T handed out copies of Trevors UNPUBLISHED!!!!! third book, without permission!!!!!, he send me a copy, I have his EMAILS!!!, what do you think about that....not an essay that was already public but a WHOLE BOOK...now talk about THEFT!!!!! of intellectual property which involved many years of research, what do you say about that? Maybe you should discuss this with your adopted son....humm.

I REALLY think you should back off before this whole thing gets out of hand...im just saying.,.,.,

I invite any interested person to take a look and see what exactly Ian is complaining about, also take a look at how long some of the Ian's essays have been posted (2013/2014). Here is the link, the articles are ALL attributed to him, there were links to the original articles but since the Samurai Armor Forum decided to require people to register, the links to the essays were not of any use.

In case you were not aware...certain hand picked members of the samurai armor forum (including IAN) belong to a hidden "secret members only forum", were Japanese authors PUBLISHED, COPYRIGHTED, texts are TRANSLATED with funds collected by the secret forum members. (The privileged members of this HIDDEN, SECRET forum within a forum include Dave, Ian, Uwe, Luc, John, Anthony, Jan, and many other names that you would recognize as members of this forum. They have ALL participated on discussing the copying and translating and distributing of Japanese authors COPYRIGHTED texts.) These texts are then distributed, Ian has participated in this and as far as I can recall Ian did not protest this.

Dave T has a personal grudge against me and I am being targeted by Ian as he and Dave are quite close.

The Teachings of Ian Bottomley

http://samuraiantiqueworld.proboards.com/board/28/teachings-ian-bottomley

<Sigh> While I'm not getting into the dirty laundry being cast about, let me note that a public declaration has been made here, freely admitting to repeated breaches of international copyright, both individually and as groups... something authors in general (and the Japanese in particular) do jealously guard. I'd also mention that it's more than possible that some of the authors whose copyright has been violated are members; almost certainly friends of theirs are members here.

Might I suggest in future that members refrain from publicly admitting to crimes for which they could well be prosecuted? Just a thought.

• Like 4

Eric, I know very well the background of a lot of this, and the history between yourself and Dave.
That aside, since Ian is a respected member of the community and has done a ton towards the study of Nihonto and armour...and since the hosting of his articles is clearly against his current wishes...why not just remove them from your site?
There is no argument to be made to keep them there if he has requested them to be removed.
Luckily this is all off our own forum...but really, out of respect for Ian, it would seem prudent to just remove the offending articles?

Brian

• Like 9

Eric,

Please don't point your finger at me, I'm not your blame agent. NMB is not a peoples court.

Address Ian Bottomley rather than misdirect.  

Dave, your not denying.....im just saying....remember...I HAVE screen shots, copies of translated Japanese texts, emails etc.

Eric, I know very well the background of a lot of this, and the history between yourself and Dave.

That aside, since Ian is a respected member of the community and has done a ton towards the study of Nihonto and armour...and since the hosting of his articles is clearly against his current wishes...why not just remove them from your site?

There is no argument to be made to keep them there if he has requested them to be removed.

Luckily this is all off our own forum...but really, out of respect for Ian, it would seem prudent to just remove the offending articles?

Brian

Brian, am I not a "respected' member here as well? Have I not "done a ton towards the study of Nihonto and armour" as well? Ian has NEVER personally contacted me through his own email so I know it is actually Ian. Ian has had my personal email for YEARS and yet he has NEVER contacted be about his concerns...humm.

When Dave opens up his "SECRET FORUM to public viewing Brian, this will show the hypocrisy of the people who are saying that I am a THIEF. As the person who created the Samurai Armor Forum and handed it over to Dave, I found certain practices to be completely against what my original intent was. When I eventually had enough, I openly discussed my problems with Dave and how the forum was being ran (ESPECIALLY the SECRET forum)...Dave banned me in order to shut me up, he has continued to harass and bad mouth me were ever he can and so have certain Samurai Forum members, some how he has convince IAN to join in. I am OPENLY calling for the Samurai Forum members to OPEN UP the SECRET FORUM so that everyone can see what is really happening.

Eric,  I have repeatedly asked you not to publish my work and you persisted in doing so, and even published my complaints on your website., To excuse yourself you have repeatedly ascribed my complaints to some other un-named person whilst knowing full well that it was I who was objecting.. I have never given you permission to use my work and you have never had the common grace to ask for it. Why you constantly refer to Dave Thatcher is a mystery as he has nothing whatsoever to do with this matter.

Ian Bottomley

Eric,  I have repeatedly asked you not to publish my work and you persisted in doing so, and even published my complaints on your website., To excuse yourself you have repeatedly ascribed my complaints to some other un-named person whilst knowing full well that it was I who was objecting.. I have never given you permission to use my work and you have never had the common grace to ask for it. Why you constantly refer to Dave Thatcher is a mystery as he has nothing whatsoever to do with this matter.

Ian Bottomley

If you have contacted me feel free to post ANY emails you have sent me proving your being honest and I am a liar....you have my permission.

<Sigh> While I'm not getting into the dirty laundry being cast about, let me note that a public declaration has been made here, freely admitting to repeated breaches of international copyright, both individually and as groups... something authors in general (and the Japanese in particular) do jealously guard. I'd also mention that it's more than possible that some of the authors whose copyright has been violated are members; almost certainly friends of theirs are members here.

Might I suggest in future that members refrain from publicly admitting to crimes for which they could well be prosecuted? Just a thought.

People who live in glass houses should not throw bricks....

NMB members, To give you some idea of what I am dealing with, I have just recieved this personal message:

Ian, you do not seem to have a problem with translating and distributing copyrighted texts on the forum. If you have a problem with me you can act like a man and contact me personally any time, instead of acting like a crybaby xxxx like Dave. What the hell has happened to you anyway????

OPEN UP THE HIDDEN, SECRET, SAMURAI ARMOUR FORUM and show people what is really happening behind CLOSED doors.

That is not going to happen, and one thing has no bearing on the other. Ian doesn't want his articles published on your forum. Everything else is a different matter entirely.

There are plenty of "sekrit" forums out there....nothing is going to change that, and people have a right to have them. What is done on them is their own issue.

Mine is THIS forum, and although I don't like dirty laundry aired here from other forums, the issue is clear to me, and you can either do as requested, or deal with the consequences. This is not a place for grudges to be played out.

No matter what is happening elsewhere, I request you to do as requested by Ian for the better of the community as a whole.

• Like 4

NMB members, To give you some idea of what I am dealing with, I have just recieved this personal message:

Ian, you do not seem to have a problem with translating and distributing copyrighted texts on the forum. If you have a problem with me you can act like a man and contact me personally any time, instead of acting like a crybaby xxxx like Dave. What the hell has happened to you anyway????

Eric T

https://www.pinteres.../worldantiques/

Ian, you have not denied that you have joined in the copying, translating and distributing of Japanese authors copyrighted works in a hidden, secret forum...why is this...am I a liar??

HYPOCRITE

noun

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.