Can't Remember The Name Of These Ww2 Swords

Bruno

Hi guys,

I can not remember the name of an experimental type of high end showato made by a Japanese Doctor in a steel laboratory. Not a lot were forged, they were well made and possibly considered as gendai-to. They are more or less in the same line of Mantetsu-to and Gunsui-to.

Any idea? Thanks! :bowdown:

Hello Bruno,

Is it the "Shinbu-to" made by the Toyo - Hamono Co Ltd...?These we laboratory designed for use in very cold conditions...You will find some details on Ohmura - study net....I have one of these swords so if you need any more information or photo's let me know...

Regards,

Paul.

post-1225-0-47462600-1496862832_thumb.jpgHello Charlie,

Nothing on the tang about special steel..

Bruno,

No problem,some photo's attached.        

Regards,

Paul..

post-1225-0-44073300-1496862857_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-10852100-1496862903_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-95180500-1496862964_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-78896400-1496863028_thumb.jpg

post-1225-0-36742200-1496863050_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Bruno,

Just saw this post...no, not the same mei as Seisui (Seisui signed in reisho script (much more "scholarly" than this mei).

I get the feeling I have seen this mei before but sorry, I can't remember the post now.

The two characters (katanamei) can be read Toshitake...or Nobutake...(the first can also be read Shin, Furu, Furi). I checked the books and cannot find the first character in any swordsmiths name, so, sorry, I can't help.

The long inscription seems to start with a lucky name   " _   _   maru"  followed by a company or association name.

Sorry, can't be more helpful. This is one for Morita sensei.

Regards,

• Like 2

Yes in fact I think it is a Shinbu To. Thanks to all who helped! 

It was few years ago when I saw it so could not remember his name. As Gunsui to were made by the electric engineer Takeo Myagushi, I may mixed up with the Dr Honda Kotaro.

My memory is playing tricks on me!

Thanks again

Hi,

Dr.Honda Kotaro -----a professor of TOHOKU UNIVERSITY.

and his student(sword smith) Aoyama Masahide(青山正秀).

They made "Kinken To" a little number.

They?

Morita san,

Thanks for the help.

"Kinken To" are the same as Shinbu To?

Yes,

Paul is right (didn't read his post properly), It is Shinbu To. The two large kanji say ShinBu (a slogan which means "brandish (your) bravery" or "brandish (this sword) bravely").

Regards,

Thanks a lot George and Paul.

Are Shinbu To considered gendai To (true nihonto)?

If they are made with modern steel they are not generally considered gendaito. 

Thanks John. Very likely you are right, however Mikasa To are considered gendaito hence my question.

Also I have been told that if the sword is made in the traditional way, then the material used is of second importance, and it is considered as a true nihonto.

But I don't think it is the case with Shinbu To and Gunsui To.

• 3 years later...
On 6/7/2017 at 12:18 PM, paul griff said:

Hello Charlie, nothing on the tang about special steel.  Bruno, no problem, some photo's attached.

post-1225-0-10852100-1496862903_thumb.jpg

Paul, if you still own this sword, what is the serial number on the nakago mune?  Does anyone know if this is normal for these to be serialized like this?

The markings on the nakago are as follows.

Nakago Reverse

振武 = shinbu

Nakago Obverse

東洋刃物株式会社作 = Tōyō Hamono Kabushiki Kaisha saku = Made by Tōyō Knife Co., Ltd.

• Thanks 1

Hello Thomas,

I still have it and the number is 510.

Regards,

Paul794352016_kaigunto.thumb.jpg.520f39ab37917354ac1812480bdae339.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, paul griff said:

Hello Thomas,

I still have it and the number is 510.

Regards,

Paul

Paul

Love your Shinbu-To

Hello,

Its a pleasure Thomas and still looking out Trystan....Bruce , all of the fittings have matching numbers including the locking catch....I only just noticed the nakago has two letters stamped on it as well as being numbered...The saya does not have any numbers or letters on it..

Regards,

Paul..

P1010756.JPG

P1010758.JPG

P1010759.JPG

P1010760.JPG

newest shinbu.jpg

P1010764.JPG

P1010768.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paul griff said:

Hello,

Its a pleasure Thomas and still looking out Trystan....Bruce , all of the fittings have matching numbers including the locking catch....I only just noticed the nakago has two letters stamped on it as well as being numbered...The saya does not have any numbers or letters on it..

Regards,

Paul..

Paul

I'm still searching and see if another one shows up. You know who to contact if you decided to part with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..