Teppo-Bako (Japanese Matchlock Storage Box)

My wife made me get rid of mine, but it did not have those racks in it. A superb example!

Piers, I remember yours, I thought you would appreciate seeing this one, do you still have any images of the one you had. You also have / had a very nice katana-bako with racks if I remember correctly.

Both true, Eric. You have a good memory. If there are any photos, they will be in an old memory card. The Katanabako with racks is in the same place in the hallway, just taking up less space!

Piers, images of your katana-bako and an image of your teppo-bako. While your katana-bako is very similar to the teppo-bako I posted, the racks are quite different.

5ab221afe643ac8c28ba7475b251ebbf.jpg

5c59387d52c1966c2e5e7df926d8a05c.jpg

Wow, yes, I haven't seen those shots for a while! The top four are indeed the large brown katana-bako which is still in the hall today.

The bottom shot is the now long-lost black teppo-bako.

Clever find indeed. :clap:

Piers, your katana-bako is the only one of its type I have seen, these bako with racks and carrying hardware must have been for military use. Along the same lines is another rare example, a ya-bako?

3e2752e3a7776f0d6fa2e9c6356b57e4.jpg

• Like 1

That's great. A friend has a couple of those large arrow boxes, one with Hideyoshi's Mon on it!

Another friend just bought a whole bunch of those large cutter arrowheads fom a collector; I managed to sneak just one, all I could afford!

My Katanabako I took to the local sword shop to see if they might be interested, but they said that no-one in Japan wants anything so large nowadays. :o

That's great. A friend has a couple of those large arrow boxes, one with Hideyoshi's Mon on it!

Another friend just bought a whole bunch of those large cutter arrowheads fom a collector; I managed to sneak just one, all I could afford!

My Katanabako I took to the local sword shop to see if they might be interested, but they said that no-one in Japan wants anything so large nowadays. :o

Piers, if you ever want to free up some room in your house just let me know!! I always wanted one of that type of arrow head but I just have not been in the right place at the right time.

Speaking of large Japanese boxes, I bought this one from Kelly Schmidt recently, he described it as a "katana box", I neglected to check the size before I paid for it. I was a bit shocked when it arrived, it is 54in / 137cm on the inside, as you can see it is quite a bit bigger than a katana. There are no racks and no sign that it ever had any. It must have stored something large but what? It appears to be old, held together with wood pegs.

41e7398711e4855b620fdad62fe6bb84.jpg

• Like 1

猪毛之靭 seems to mean 'boar-bristle quiver', Eric. It must have contained an Utsubo at one time? Nice box.

All the good boxes are coming here instead of the other thread I started a few weeks ago! :rotfl:

Piers...a utsubo-bako, amazing, thanks. I did not know about your recent thread on Japanese boxes, I think this box belongs there, maybe Brian will move it. When I click on a forum members name and then click on the box for "threads" or "posts" it only displays a few of the most recent ones and no more, it should bring up a persons entire history. Here is a link to your other thread for anyone who is interested. http://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/22563-Japanese-boxes-we-like/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! 

Brian, the box with arrows is mine, I have 3 of them, the boxes with spaces for the arrows are quite rare. I guess most of them have succumbed to moisture and insects.

Something for the lovers of ya and yanone.

In this picture there are 4 yumi, the two to the left are Muromachi, the two to the right are Edo.

27034376582_fbd095d479_b.jpg

The forrest...

26525170423_a5b944f86f_b.jpg

27034376452_dd1478e95a_b.jpg

Some different ebira, all ya have battle yanone exept for the four white, those a "presentation arrows" I made for my wife

26525170553_72c1b790cd_b.jpg

26525170693_bbe30950d3_b.jpg

box with mixed goodies..

26985004571_92727457ef_b.jpg

26959073282_cf2cf196ca_b.jpg

In the last picture you also see the lid of the box that Eric published

If the post is in the wrong section, just delete it.

Anthony

• Like 3

Hi!

Well, I have some heavy guns, but not all of my guns are heavy....

Here are some of them

15464886758_78e1d4c730_b.jpg

Covering the channel, with my bonsai cannon, It has a nice history participating in the Takamori campaign

17209321326_670abcd26e_b.jpg

Another one 40 monme

24893825426_0eeaa825a1_b.jpg

Big guns needs big tools...

25123341641_08e118c448_b.jpg

Sorry, I am seriously off topic.

Anthony

• Like 3

Anthony, wundebar (or whatever Vikings might have said).  Thanks so very much for your photos - they must not disappear.  Sighhh.  It makes a man with only three teppo feel a little small in the pants...

BaZZa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..