Oh Say Can You Sa

Anybody else catch this eBay auction with a sword with kinzogan inlay to Sa that went for $7800?  Forgive me if you bought that sword, but I can't see how it is possible to have any confidence that this has even a remote chance of papering to Sa based on the photos provided.  Sorry if there is already a thread on this.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Japanese-Samurai-Sword-Signed-Tang-Has-Three-Holes-w-Scabbard-WW2-Mounts-/152552336119?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=6lBaLT6U11BblAyGVDX1vev5pdM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

post-620-0-65706600-1496055526_thumb.jpg

Sorry, Jean, didn't catch the irony!  I agree, the buyer of this sword will have to be extraordinarily lucky to get papers to Sa.  For one thing, I don't think shinsa teams like to agree with any mei on a nakago that was put there by anybody other than the maker........ B

While it may not paper to Sa, it looks mid-nambokucho already putting it on a good footing and if someone in the past thought sa it may be a slight upgrade on what it actually is so one of his students? Kind of like the many masamune kinzogan that later go to shizu etc.

Still a lot of money for something that could turn out to be worthless after a polish if it's too tired, when there's in polish naoe shizu available for just slightly more than this.

It would also be a bit annoying to have to pry out the gold inlay after it fails to paper.  Not only might it leave a bit of a hole, but I don't believe that they will paper it to someone else as long as that kinzogan mei is there...... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..