My First Question - Nco Type 95 Auction

Hi Guys -  I'm new here ..post-4102-0-48570800-1495898356_thumb.jpg  

I am a long time collector of other militaria but have slowly gravitated to the nihonto path.  I don't have a Dalton's  (it's a pending gift from my wife)  but have several of the lesser reference books and I enjoy studying sword trends and reading A LOT on the net, and studying sales.  My google searches often bring me to a discussion/link involving you folks ... so I figured I needed to join :)   .. and I am glad I did!   Of course I thought I was reading posts for 20 minutes this morning, and my wife reminded me it was 2 hours :)  Anyway - 

Patience is a key virtue as I study these trends, but I hope you will permit me to get an "itch scratched" and ask about this type 95 NCO:  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263000544534?_trksid=p2055359.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It is item number: 263000544534   - if the link doesn't work.  I have been looking at these for a few months, and this one attracts me due type and quality of condition (mainly the % paint intact).   I believe I purchased an item from this gent a while ago and was pleased.  I have a small concern over the serial stamp on the scabbard. There is a nice photo of it -  It's a matching number, but it just seems "different" from most stamped scabbards I have witnessed.  That said - I know I don't have nearly the history of studying these patterns like the folks on this site,  so I value your opinions and thoughts!   

Hi (please put your name to your post) zook.

Firstly, welcome, its a great pass time. 

Secondly, make sure you get DAWSONS book, not Daltons.

Thirdly, the scabbard stamp IS NOT original, and you are correct to question it. The rest of the NCO looks nice.

Fourthly, the NCO is not strictly a NIHONTO, it is a machine made weapon.

There is a section here for MILITARY swords where your posts would be more appropriately placed. There are many collectors of NCO's following that section, including me.  

All that said, feel free to post any questions you have as there are many collectors ready and always willing to help...Neil.

• Like 1

Hi Dan!

I was rather interested in that sword too, until I saw the saya mouth. I've checked my small database and there is no evidence Ichi ever used different fonts on the saya. You can see what looks to be the old numbers faintly showing through as well. Such a shame for one in good condition. The good news is that Ichi is common, so you'll have plenty of future opportunities to bid against me for one.

• Like 1

Hi guys - 

Obviously I have A LOT to learn, and I GREATLY appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with me with the responses.  I will do better with my terminology and post locations going forward - rookie mistake!    I will be patient. :) ... I look forward to learning more.   Dan 

It was a common practice, prior to the shingunto, to send in Type 32 gunto for repair. When the saya was damaged, the repair facility would often file off the serial number of another saya, restamp a matching number and fit the gunto with another saya (I have one myself). While I have no knowledge that this practice was continued with the Type 95, I don't see why it couldn't have been done. To me, it looks like original saya paint is in the grooves of the restamped numbers.

Wow -  thanks for the additional comments.   Bruce - that's something I certainly didn't know about or consider.   I was impressed by the overall condition, compared to other recent Type 95s I had monitored ... that's why it caught my attention in the first place.   Dan 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..