Nakago Anyone?

No..not fakes. We have discussed it before. When unlicensed blades are found in Japan, and people are unwilling to go through the entire licensing/registration process (or they are Showato) then they chop them into little itty bitty pieces like this.
This is the result.

No..not fakes. We have discussed it before. When unlicensed blades are found in Japan, and people are unwilling to go through the entire licensing/registration process (or they are Showato) then they chop them into little itty bitty pieces like this.

This is the result.

I did not know that you are allowed to keep the parts. I thought, if the police in Japan confiscates a blade the owner never sees it again.

regards,

If they are not considered historically or artistically worth preserving, the police will chop them up. Guns too. As far as I know, people are welcome to the pieces. I have half of the blade of a spear, for example. You may often find that a signed Nakago with a short section of blade has been used in Japan for flower arrangement, for example.

• Like 2

Since the articles destroyed by the police are considered weapons, it seems to follow that they were not made traditionally, so what can be learned from them? And if they were traditionally constructed, why were they destroyed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..