Dream Became Reality

Nihonto1973

hi there all ,

short intoduction :

I'm a 44 year young men , leaving in belgium , close to antwerp.

My basic education was " metal " , not the music :-)

I'm self employed , have 3 nice sons and married for about 20 years , with my lovely wife .....who has nothing with weapons , whatsowever......

My post(s) will be simply and with a lot of misspellings , i never learned to write ore talk english.

so , sorry about that

things can go fast .........after reading a few days this forum i made a major decision.............i stopt dreaming ( after 30 years )......and did what i had to do.

I just bought my first nihonto.

most people here will now which one

30 years ago i saw a katana replica ( for about 50 euro ) , that was my budget for a month or 3 , beiing 14 years old .

That was a hard one , but i did it !

Now , 30 years later it was getting to strong ..........it was time for the real thing.

Because i'm a layman , i could only do this one base off trust.

After a few weeks study , i noticed , it will take years to learn all about it.

So i contacted a kind french person who had a katana for sale on this forum.

That went verry smouth and friendly and easy .

Aftyer a few days it was time to inform my wife , with my plans.....

"now way" she said ..........next day she gave me a "go" 

And no , i'm not gonna tell the secret.

I had really a great contact with te seller , he was honest ,and cooperative.

So i transfered some money and a few days later , my dream became reality.

The seller did a great job with packing the package .....and back support.

So , now i have the sword with me , the study can start , with a nice example in my hands ( the opposite , compared with others )

I now , that was a risk , untill i met Florian .

I think i got a good, honest deal !

Florian tould me , the sword is even better in hands , as on pictures >>>>>> hi was right !

Good to now there are still some reliable persons on this planet .

this post took my about 45 min. so dont ask for pics .......you can see the sword in the " sale " topic ...... people who follow this forum a bit , will now now which katana we are talking about.

I also hope to here some belgium members ( possible PM )

So , that's about is , have a nice weekend and its was good to get to know you all :-))))

Greetings from Belgium ,

Joo

• Like 10

Now you've done it ! it never ends with just one sword! 

must have a wak to accompany it , oh and then there'll be fittings to dress it!

Welcome to the club , I too waited for years to have the means to buy my first Nihonto

We all understand  your excitement too!

It's a beautiful unit

ENJOY!

Charles L. Grusovnik

Thank you very much again Joo for your kind words !

It has been a real pleasure to have made this deal with you and I am delighted to see you are fully satisfied with your first Nihonto.

And of course Welcome to Nihonto addicts ! (It's now you will have to be very kind with your wife !  ;-) )

• Like 1

Hello Joo:

Welcome indeed and thanks for the interesting introduction.

I assume you are referring to the Kanei Nobushige that Florian had been try to sell for far too long, as it was an excellent package in all respects from when first posted. I would have bought it at once if it was a wakizashi or tanto as a companion for a long daito with cutting test that I have of his dated 1865. I am sure you will be researching him but to help a little he is Hawley NOB 468, Fujishiro Shinto-hen, S211, and Toko Taikan, p.482. His strong point for the blades he made at the time when a movement to rearm was going on in anticipation of a major confrontation between the Shogunate and various marginally loyal Daimyo such as the Satsuma, Choshu, etc., seems to be blades of length and substance and having a suguba hamon. His exact affiliation is a little unclear. The sayagaki on mine, written by the late Yoshikawa Koen in 1996 states, in translation: "A smith of the Doi family of Koga in Soshu - standing here for Shimosa and Kazusa, which were once one kuni - he is well know for sharp, fighting blades ... Mine is 2.51 shaku, suguba and the cutting test is one of cutting through both hips. His teacher is not certain though Iimura sensei places him with Munehiro, that is Sokan, thus a member of the Kato group. According to Chris Bowen he forged swords at the Yushima Tenjin Shrine. He was invited by the Doi and according to Nihon-to, Issue No. 4, June, 1996 (British Token Society), p.49, his commission was to make 100 swords. Sokan and his student  Hiroshige were also invited to produce for the Doi. I believe the Doi were a fudai Daimyo clan, thus loyal to the Shogunate, but I am not sure. I believe you will find that suguba, not necessarily to the exclusion of all other hamon, tend to be particularly well suited to being good cutters.

See what you can find on your new find and let us know.

Arnold F.

• Like 3

Thx for the compliments !

Now i'm curieus about that " winchester 73 "

Sounds like a classic movie that i must have mist , back then.

And thx Arnold for all this info !!

Thats a lot more than i could find the past week.

Thank you for your effort !

If someone nows more about this sword/Smith , i would love to hear it.

The more info , the better this sword gets to me.

A kind Belgium member offert me his book rests , so in a few weeks i can start to get me informed into nihonto and samurai culture.

So i will be busy for the next few months ( years ????)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..