Kabuto Myochin

jelda44

Hello friends,

I bought Tengu Kabuto Myochin in Japan.

My friend translated my signature: Myochin Ki Yoshisuke.

I do not know if translation is correct. I could not find this name at Myochin school.

Can you please tell me if the translation is correct or you know about another work by Myochin Ki Yoshusuke.

Thank you

Jiri

post-2994-0-72846100-1494858637_thumb.jpg

post-2994-0-43531000-1494858645_thumb.jpg

post-2994-0-08080300-1494858653_thumb.jpg

post-2994-0-11100700-1494858667_thumb.jpg

post-2994-0-57339300-1494858672_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Jiri,

Very interesting. I would like to see more pictures of the sides, back, top and interior views.

I checked and there is a Myochin Yoshisuke listed as a Jo I smith working in the Edo period. He was reputedly the son of Myochin Yoshimasa (although which one I don't know).

John

I have to say that when I first saw this post, I immediately said to myself "modern repro" or Ichiro. However, the workmanship of this kabuto seems very good and superior to your typical modern fake. Still, the condition is perfect and the ukebari is obviously recent. It seems that the interior of the kabuto is lacquered gold, with the area around the mei having traces of shu urushi. Not quite sure what to make of this kabuto.

Karasu tengu kabuto (a creature, half man, half crow). Several of this kabuto, in different qualities, are around. This one looks nice, though. A famos piece, as part of a complete armor, is currently located in the Barbier-Mueller collection. It is late Edo period, around 1854. Allegedly signet, Munekiyo/Ryūsuiken.

I have to say that when I first saw this post, I immediately said to myself "modern repro" or Ichiro. However, the workmanship of this kabuto seems very good and superior to your typical modern fake. Still, the condition is perfect and the ukebari is obviously recent. It seems that the interior of the kabuto is lacquered gold, with the area around the mei having traces of shu urushi. Not quite sure what to make of this kabuto.

John,

I see a well used ukebari, one with sweat stains, rips, frayed sections and threadbare in others. However, I think, like the rest of the unit, it was made to look old. I can't tell, but it looks like the mei is carved into the urushi only? If so, very odd in my opinion.  Very interesting piece.. Ichiro certainly comes to mind.

I hesitated on commenting for the simple reason that my first reaction was 'this is too good to be true' and that it needs some careful consideration. Before I comment, it is worth pointing out that however good the photos are it is impossible to reach definite conclusions without holding the object. I also hesitated because it would be wrong to cast doubts on another's treasure without definitive proof so please note I am not arriving at any definitive conclusions from these observations - they are just thoughts that strike me as worth comment.

Firstly the embossing and the shaping of the bowl are superb but I find the washers of the zaboshi rather heavy and rather over-done. Normally they are made of flat sheet and marked with radiating lines done with a chisel. These seem to have been either shaped with a file or embossed.  It is as if the maker is emphasising the 'boiler-plate' look. I don't think Ichiro is involved with this one as his work tended to have the surface covered in faint planishing marks rather than being totally smooth. I also find the slightly pitted surface finish a little too uniform. A russet helmet tends to develop any secondary rusting in patches leaving differently textured areas where it was cleaned off, especially in crevices which are difficult to get at.. Having said that I once owned a perfectly genuine helmet that had an almost identical texture to this that I concluded had been deliberately textured with acid before russeting so this may be the case here. 

What is not in dispute is that the cross-knots of the fukigayeshi are absolutely genuine - you cannot lace with rotting silk and there is clearly less fading where the braid crossed over itself. The uname toji is however totally intact and in fact looks new but that may be because of the dyes used. I would query why the fukigayeshi are black lacquered whereas the rest of the shikoro, except its interior, is textured gold lacquer. Similarly why has the fukigayeshi got cross-knots and uname toji but the shikoro has not - not even a mimi ito. Again it is clear the lining is genuine and old but why is the gold on the interior intact on top of the rivets where it would be rubbed, but is missing in the angles between the plates and around the rivets where it would be protected? 

Finally who was Yoshisuke? Apparently a relatively unknown Kyoto armour maker who Sasama says is known only because one helmet survives. Is this the helmet or is it some other? We don't know because Sasama doesn't say what type of helmet he is referring to - but I think he would have done so if it was the quality of this. If it was by Myochin Yoshisuke, surely someone with the skill this shows would have been better known and more of his work would have survived. 

So to summarise - a very fine piece of uchidashi work that raises a few nagging questions as to its age and / or it subsequent treatment, that seems to have been fitted with a rather more dubious shikoro, but is still a very nice thing to own.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 4

A little birdie told me that the one helmet Ian refers to above is in a museum. Even if Jiri's above is by Ichiro, that is no bad thing because he is a genius who will be increasingly recognized in future. Already he has so blended into the historical fabric of traditional Japanese metalwork that few can tell any more.  Another little birdie told me that whatever you paid Jiri, it was very close to the bone for the dealer. :quiet:

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Justin Grant said:

WOW... Rather health sum for a possible Ichiro. But hey, each to their own.

But.. Tengu are just the coolest folklore creatures! In those times i would opt for a mask instead of kabuto but either, Tengu's have appeal. I'm fond of the Dai Tengu's appearance/characteristics. Something about it.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..