Samurai Kitchen Knives

If you fancy a beautiful hand forged, by a genuine Japanese swordsmith no less, kitchen knife you had better hurry. I have a feeling this offering will not last long.

Tara Asano is a good friend of mine and a pretty talented smith but like many contemporary smiths in Japan surviving solely on making Nihonto is getting increasingly difficult. Taro and his wife Rika are creratively pro-active though and seem continually to be evolving the business so that the fire in Taro's forge doesn't go out.

Here's a link to Taro's facebook page.

• Like 7

Hi Guys,

Here is the way to order one:

asanokajiya@me.com is his email address.

Please chose the type of knife.

1, santoku (push cut) 20cm blade

2, gyuto (slice cut , meat) 21cm blade

Send him a message, he will send you a paypal proforma invoice, you settle it and he sends it before end of month.

Total price: 32160¥

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jean & anyone else who ordered a kitchen knife, I just got this message from Taro:

Dear Ken,

Thank you for your inquiry.
It is good time!
I'm just making your kitchen knife.
I can send it tomorrow.
Please wait about a week until it arrive.

Taro

ASANOKAJIYA

I'll post photos when it arrives, & we'll be using the knife to slice up some ahi (tuna) for its first use.

Ken

• Like 1

Hmm. Mine is different reply. I also asked about a signature into the knife like I have from other knives I have bought in Japan

“Thank you for your message.

We are making your kitchen knife.

It is almost done, final step.

But we can't cut into signing to the knife.

I'm sorry for it.

And Taro has to go to Canada to demonstrate for 1 month, we can send yours the beginning of August.

Please wait for a while.”

I've always believed in the "squeaky-wheel theorem," Gordon...squeak loudly, & squeak first! Of course Taro may be making & sending them based on when we made our payments; I sent mine in early May (5/5) when I requested an invoice from him.

I never thought of asking Taro to sign his creation - great idea! - but I guess it wouldn't have mattered. Before this one, the only knives I've bought from Japan were when I was IN Japan, & I don't communicate well enough to request a mei.

Does anyone else find it interesting that a tosho is traveling to the Americas to demonstrate? Piers, could Taro lead a group of them?  :dunno:

Ken

• Like 1

Ho omaopopo mai iaʻu, e hoouna aku oe i kekahi mea i loko o Hawaiian ka huli hou 'oe e olelo aku nei ia kana mea maopopo, Jean!

(Remind me to send you something in Hawaiian the next time you say that something is understandable, Jean!)

Ken

• Like 2

Okay, my knife just arrived, & it's a beauty! Taro has really done some excellent work, & wrapped the knife up in a beautiful box, too, although not wood. Nice midare hamon, although it's fairly small, & not easy to photograph.

Here's a photo, although we're heading out for a pizza dinner. so we'll cut with it later:

post-233-0-88663200-1498095886_thumb.jpg

Ken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..