Type 95 Nco Copper Hilt

RDH

My brother left me 5 samurai swords when he passed away a few years back.  In the 5 was a Copper hilt NCO type 95 in excellent shape blade as well as scabbard.  The blade as well as the scabbard  has the # 71 on them.  As research i have done this is a very low # as only 6500 some were produced.  The tsuba is brass and the original leather sarute is there.  The scabbard is painted OD green and has the brass plug.and has about 95 % of the finish.  The blade has a mirror finish with no pitting or wear marks. The hilt has no screws in it as some later models have.  Just wondering about value.  I will post pictures as soon as i can.  There was an officers type 98 that is in great shape, small amount of piting on blade but not bad. Dont know much about the other three but are very old blades. I alco have 2  Japanese dirks.  Any info would be appericated. I know not much can be done until pictures can be posted.  Thank you so much  Roger

• Like 1

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear your brother passed.

In good condition you could reasonably expect around $4,000 USD for of the copper handle NCO. The low numbers and the original sarute make it a particularly appealing sword. http://www.pre98.com/shop/our-newest-finds/important-Japanese-ww2-rare-early-copper-handled-type-95-army-sword-ncos/ Copper handles have been reaching insane prices lately. I'd love to own it.

Officer swords depend mostly on blades, so pics needed for those. I don't have a clue on dirks so someone else can step in there. The traditional blades are the same,depends on age, maker and condition.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful example, anyone would be lucky to own it. To assist in keeping the leather sarute intact, consider a small investment in Accessible Preservatives Leather Restorer. It's the best product for the job.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful example, anyone would be lucky to own it. To assist in keeping the leather sarute intact, consider a small investment in Accessible Preservatives Leather Restorer. It's the best product for the job.

I just got a jar of it and used it on my NCO tassel straps! Good stuff!

• Like 1

yes they are, but they have failed to make them in any real number, and they can be 98% picked up quickly. theres a few tricky ones out there but most of the time good collectors can pick them.

I don't want to appear to be drifting this thread, so if any mods want me to delete or move this please say so.

However, re dodgy copper handle NCOs, any thoughts re this one? Only photo I have unfortunately.

post-3949-0-13327000-1493895507_thumb.png

yes the one you just posted is fake.   As for a Copper handled NCO there was one recently on Ebay and gunboards "same sword" the guy was trying to sell I think maybe slightly cleaned ??? He ended up taking under 2400.00 for it which I was amazed it went soooo cheap.   I see them battled over and driven up to 4k at times. One thing about auctions is they are not consistent.  I see the sarute is already broken on one side.  There is a product called leather weld  

that might work attaching it..   That is a great example no matter what.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the posts from Members.  Yes the sarute was broken on one side but still there. I got alot of imformation on this sword that really helped alot.  Again thanks.  Roger D.

As Stegel says. I cannot see anything that immediately screams fake? Please elaborate Mauser. Most of the green paint is missing on the saya but the undercoat is correct as is the little original paint. But picture way too hard to pick the details.

I don't want to appear to be drifting this thread, so if any mods want me to delete or move this please say so.

However, re dodgy copper handle NCOs, any thoughts re this one? Only photo I have unfortunately.

Poor guy didn't know how to mount the NCO tassel, but with that as the only image, seems proper.  Wonder if he'd sell me that tassel!!!

mauser99

Posted Today, 12:03 AM

I think that going by just that poor quality photo, you could not make that call.

Overall it appears genuine to me.

I wasn't talking about the first sword posted.  the second. Looks like a typical Chinese fake to me.. Wouldn't buy it based off that photo.

Sorry if Im wrong.

I hope this clears things up a bit...

What i meant was that looking at the one poor picture of the second sword, you cannot dismiss it as 'fake' so easily when the obvious tell tale signs of it being fake are not there and it appears to be genuine.

My response to Matt's question would be that it looks OK, but get some better photos so you can confirm.

I suppose i was more puzzled as to WHY you decided it was fake.... thats all.

However, i agree with you both (Wayne and Doug), you obviously wouldn't buy it without more pictures available that are going to be clearer, so you can make a better assesment of what you would be investing in.

It's good that you guys brought that point up as Matt needs to be aware of it, and i certainly wasn't suggesting an impulse buy based on that one photo.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. I certainly wouldn't depend on that photo alone, and have read up on the type in Dawson's. I thought, initially, that the pictured sword looked 'about right'. So was interested as to what aspects might give cause for concern. I await a response to my request for better pics and more info.

Poor guy didn't know how to mount the NCO tassel, but with that as the only image, seems proper. Wonder if he'd sell me that tassel!!!

Bruce quick! Jump on it! Though it's pretty impossible to tell them apart from the reproduction one now, so be careful. The smell and grease test is best.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Original-Japanese-Sword-Army-NCO-Tassel-Leather-Sword-Tassel-/371945561546?hash=item5699aeddca%3Ag%3A18QAAOSw42JZEkk8&_trkparms=pageci%253Ad5a283d0-3551-11e7-9744-74dbd180d48c%257Cparentrq%253Af13f8ab315b0aa415d694c8fffffccca%257Ciid%253A1

• Like 1

looks like it's been cut off and re-stitched since it's alot shorter than teh regular one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..