Mifune - Now On Sale

Well, Rotten Tomatoes rates this as a documentary at 81% (81% of reviewers were positive), 89% of viewers liked it.  The problem is that this review of Mifune's life wasn't all that well received... positive, but not very.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mifune_the_last_samurai/

The general opinion seems to be, as with a lot of documentaries or research pieces, it serves best as a source for further study, rather than as an informative / entertaining piece in itself.

Some comments from reviewers:

• The film works best as an appetite stimulant for richer cinematic fare.
  • This concise documentary focuses largely on his artistic partnership with Akira Kurosawa but includes enough about Japan's film industry and the star's charmed life to engross fans and casual viewers alike.
  • A dutiful and diverting but rather bare-bones documentary portrait
  • What the film does succeed at is reminding us what a genius Mifune was and hopefully it will inspire a new generation to discover him.
  • Serves as a fascinating primer on one of the movies' indisputable Icons, as well as taking care of a viewer's to-watch list for months.
  • At the absolute least, you will certainly leave the theater with a list of excellent Toshiro Mifune movies that you either missed altogether, or will be re-watching as soon as possible

• Like 1

I looked for the Mifune dvd on Amazon USA and at the moment it is region 1 so will not play in the UK

I also checked for The Emperor & The Wolf and wasn't available on Amazon UK so I assume it is also region 1

If anyone knows if this available for region 2 please let me know

I looked for the Mifune dvd on Amazon USA and at the moment it is region 1 so will not play in the UK

I also checked for The Emperor & The Wolf and wasn't available on Amazon UK so I assume it is also region 1

If anyone knows if this available for region 2 please let me know

Sorry I should've clarified that Emperor & The Wolf is a book.

https://www.amazon.com/Emperor-Wolf-Kurosawa-Toshiro-Mifune/dp/0571211526

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..