Modern Nihonto On Website

You must sign with your first name and an initial. That's the first NMB rule. If you have ever read any post on thIs Board, you will see that they are all signed. In the same say, I have seen that you are far from having completed your profile....

Please, comply

Since we only deal with real Japanese swords, and those are Chinese imitations, I removed the link. Sorry, but we are fairly strict on being on topic.

You can just sign with at least first name, and all is good. Just easier when chatting to members to have a name.
Thanks.

Brian

If you look at the top of each page on NMB, Peter, you'll see that it says, "...Genuine Japanese Swords...". The Web-site you posted may have had advertisements for Nihonto, but since the rest of the page was for Chinese knock-offs, that link wasn't appropriate.

Ken

There were actual Nihonto on the page that was posted. Four of them at the bottom.

All four had had their nakago cleaned to the point of shiny steel so potentially the shop is up to shenanigans and should be treated with caution, although they may have bought them that way.

Probably best avoided at the prices offered.

Please for my own confusion!!

Was it said quite recently, the if your post was headed with your real name, as in Peter Churchman.

That a signature would not be a requirement, as your title was plain and obvious.

• Like 1

In general, the "sign with your real name" rule is common in web forums where transactions take place.  It descends from the days when everyone used a handle rather than their real name;  you needed that to make transactions.

While I haven't gone over NMB's member listing, I note that at any particular moment about 75% of registered users on the board use handles rather than names.

One thing I learned in managing various web forums is that it's better to make one rule and apply it to everyone, than to list various exceptions to a rule.  If exceptions are allowed then -- without fail -- you get problems and people who want to debate whether or not they fall into the exception category.

No forum manager needs more drama or hassle than they already have.  So, I would suspect, the application of the sig name rule.

I, at least, have no problem with taking five seconds to type my name. 

You can set your display name anytime you like in your profile. No sig needed if you are displaying a (real) name.
It was not set like that when the request was made. Was edited correctly after the fact. Capiche? Let's carry on now.

• Like 2

There were actual Nihonto on the page that was posted. Four of them at the bottom.

All four had had their nakago cleaned to the point of shiny steel so potentially the shop is up to shenanigans and should be treated with caution, although they may have bought them that way.

Probably best avoided at the prices offered.

All four had the same pictures as well. At best low grade martial arts swords possibly from Japan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..