Wtb: Ww2 Generals Grade Shin Gunto

PNSSHOGUN

i remember some years ago (you can guess how long), i passed up a mint mantetsu with a generals tassel that was priced $1000. Instead i bought a shinto katana from the same seller for a bit more that that.......... strange how things work out, that Shinto katana is probably not worth much more than i paid and the Mantetsu/tassel is probably worth 6-8000 maybe more....  

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies all, I have had a few private offers and am in contact with Doug.

I am also red with anger at some of these lovely little anecdotes you all seem to have about Generals Grade swords for pennies on the dollar!

Apart from the tassel, which let's face it, could have been added by anyone at anytime, what identifies a General's grade shin gunto?

I know it's different for kyu gunto because of the addition of tortoise shell grip.

Generals Grade often have the highest quality fittings and finish, hard to tell sometimes but the differences are there. Family Kamon, gold plating, high grade samegawa and ito. Not uncommon to find them with Mantetsu blades either.

• Like 2

Hello,

Yes you are right there John....The Bonhams 'Conflict of the 20th century' sale on 21st oct 2015 had a couple of jems ! Lot 75 was a stunning type 94 with gilted fittings and also lot 14 the sword of Major General Kenji Matsumoto,a type 98 with full provenance...Sadly wasn't in a position to buy at the time ! Both swords and indeed many others in that sale are fine items for any collection...One day hopefully...!

Regards,

Paul..

• Like 1

Generals Grade often have the highest quality fittings and finish, hard to tell sometimes but the differences are there. Family Kamon, gold plating, high grade samegawa and ito. Not uncommon to find them with Mantetsu blades either.

Very much more likely to have a Shrine sword, Yasukuni is what I'm referring to, or an ancestral blade. Fittings would be custom made and high quality. In fact I'm actually quite surprised to hear that there was a Mantetsu found with the tassle. Those were pure combat swords forged using modern technology. To me that feels like a a respectable gentleman turning up to golf in a pimped low rider instead of a Bentley.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi John

Difficult to find with appropriate proof of origin!

Own such a dream like one!

very early date blade by Kajiyama Yasunori '94 pattern with pinned Kabutogane Koshirae,with Tassel, ex Collection from the

former head of Bayer Leverkusen in Tokyo!

He bought this sword in 1967 from a Generals widow,well documented..:)

Good luck!

Volker

• Like 1

I have seen a number of Generals swords with impeccable provenance, all being in the hands of the families of the men that they were surrendered to . Not a mantetsu in sight . Personally I would be very sceptical of a Generals sword with a mantetsu in it . Makes sense as most men who held that rank would have been commissioned years before Mantetsu blades were being made . That is to say they would already have their sword .  Having said that in the Australian War Memorial there is a sword surrendered by General Kanda on Bouganville which has an Emura blade in it . A contemporary description of the sword indicated that it looked like it had just come out of stores ie it was too new looking to have been worn by the General . Perhaps Generals had a few extra swords to present to worthy subordinates. There is a letter in the War Memorial published in Fuller and Gregory ( I think ) that suggests this is the case. I did come across General  Kandas  Fukuto  which had an old blade in it, although I couldn't get the tsuka off . Brigadier Garrett who had received this sword had given it to his driver . Unfortunately the widow wasn't interested in selling !

Ian Brooks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian B3HR2UH said:

I have seen a number of Generals swords with impeccable provenance, all being in the hands of the families of the men that they were surrendered to . Not a mantetsu in sight . Personally I would be very sceptical of a Generals sword with a mantetsu in it . Makes sense as most men who held that rank would have been commissioned years before Mantetsu blades were being made . That is to say they would already have their sword .  Having said that in the Australian War Memorial there is a sword surrendered by General Kanda on Bouganville which has an Emura blade in it . A contemporary description of the sword indicated that it looked like it had just come out of stores ie it was too new looking to have been worn by the General . Perhaps Generals had a few extra swords to present to worthy subordinates. There is a letter in the War Memorial published in Fuller and Gregory ( I think ) that suggests this is the case. I did come across General  Kandas  Fukuto  which had an old blade in it, although I couldn't get the tsuka off . Brigadier Garrett who had received this sword had given it to his driver . Unfortunately the widow wasn't interested in selling !

Ian Brooks

Hi Ian, here is one that is documented as surrendered by Major-General Tamoto, though oddly it retains a field grade tassel (also listed in Shokan p.209). https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1966-04-27-1

As for multiple swords I suspect some Generals almost certainly had multiple, if General Yamashita is one to go by the average IJA General may have had half a dozen if they played their cards right......

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 10:02 PM, PNSSHOGUN said:

Still searching....

John:

How many ww2 Generals' swords were produced (i.e., how many generals were there)? Although I suspect most survived in one form or another, I can't imagine the availability is too great.  

Just curious,

John C.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..