How Many Vintage Swords Still Exist?

they are not afraid of the Lawman, they are afraid of the Taxman.

The fear might be real, but is generally unsubstantiated. When it comes to inheritance tax, taxable asset in Japan are generally defined as tangible assets, real property, bank deposits, life insurance, retirement allowance, loan assets, bonds, stocks, patents, industrial intangible rights, and copy rights. Personal items are not subject to inheritance tax, except when a case can be made that they are tangible assets – which usually isn’t the case when it comes to personal collections, and would make the tax authorities incredibly busy estimating the value of antiques.

In any case, and getting back to the o/t, most of the numbers in Mr. Nakamura’s estimations are either on public record, or can be obtained by simple counting, as Darcy pointed out. I used some of them in my August 2008 article on Japanese sword law without “extensive research”. However, when a claim is made that there are half a million unregistered swords in Japan – something people with decades of experience in sword circles in Japan are highly doubtful of (and I’m not only talking about myself) – it should be substantiated by giving sources for that estimate, besides some anecdotal evidence, and half-thought-out theories by supporters of it.

Anyhow, I don’t want to spoil it for those who enjoy a good conspiracy theory, and will shut up on the topic now.

P.S.: This is how a sword looks that can’t be registered for a variety of reasons, cut into pieces of 15 cm or less:

post-12-0-37603300-1491624513_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..