Uda School Katana - Listing On Ebay

Forgive me if this is not the correct forum section or if this does not fit the posting rules (I read them, seems relevant to this section). If Admin wants to remove I have no issue.

I saw this listing on Ebay (I know, but I do like to look around there and see whats going on) and it's a papered by NBTHK Uda School katana. From the pictures there are several flaws; some in the bo-hi and what seems like delamination in at least one place. Still, to my novice eye I think I must be missing something. It's unsigned.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192056995827?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not trying to knock the listing, for all I know it's fine, just asking.

I think it's probably a reasonable item but I feel like the price itself is high. It's an Uda school katana from the late Muromachi so not particularly rare or exceptional, that is in pretty solid shape but nothing amazing. It has no koshirae or anything although the shirasaya appears OK if nothing particularly special there either.

It has a decent hada, and I personally enjoy bohi swords.

I don't think it's a bad piece to have but I do think it's overpriced. I'd pay 1500 for it or so maybe? Ballpark guess.

Of course I'm quite new in the world of Nihonto so please take what I say with a grain (or tablespoon) of salt. :)

Jeremiah, take a close look at the bo-hi. The rather large width, & the number of ware you can see inside it, makes me think that it was carved to hide something. On the other hand, however, there aren't enough flaws to prevent NBTHK from papering the blade. So flip your coin, & make him an offer.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..