Kikuchi Yari

md02geist

I have no dogs in this fight, but if a guy was looking for a kikuchi yari, Daimyo-sama's little tanto seems like something worth a second look. It carries an old "white paper" that I assume means that somebody in 1967  thought it was intact and legit, and not retempered.. . The fullness of the hamon seems more - ahhh - suspicious than the remnant straight grain above the shinogi. Muromachi? If it is a kikuchi-yari it could be older than that. And who was making them after 1603?

Peter

• Like 1

Finally looked at the eBay kikuchi yari listing and thought it looked rather interesting. Lots of strong and distinct nioi showing all along the hamon. It would be interesting to buy reasonable and spend a few bucks to repolish it with new habaki, etc. Those appear to be the old "White" papers from the NBTHK that was the first level of papers issued. I think they were phased out around 1970, thereabout. Although the nakago doesn't appear cut off, it probably was a yari with a long nakago, made into a tanto. Might be a fun project for a younger collector. I myself have a similar kikuchi yari shortened into a tanto. Had it for many years and still enjoy looking at it.

Ron STL

Thanks for the link Ray and when I click through from that link to sellers items I get 30 items that don't appear when I do a normal search from where I follow the seller!

This seems to be happening a lot with ebay - i don't know why.

As for the Yari - it looks like a polish might show some interesting sunagashi in many areas.

Whether that leaves any meat on the bone as an investment I am not so sure - but overall I think it is a decent blade just a slightly high auction starting price.

• 3 months later...

I liked that one a lot but sadly it sold before I was able to really look into it. The language barrier with that particular vendor makes it hard, I only know a little Japanese and they don't seem to know much English. Our communications were fairly confusing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..