An Old Chestnut....cleaning

Sorry to possibly be dragging up an old chestnut, and by no means want to kick off an argument.

However, having done a number of searches on here and other sources on the net, I'm still somewhat none the wiser.....in particular with regards to products available here in the UK.

So....without further a do, I'll get to the point....

I recently invested in a very interesting sword by Akihisa, dated Dec 1941. The previous custodian very kindly cleaned and oiled it prior to my collection. I'm aware he used some pukka choji oil from Japan. I don't have any cleaning/care products as yet, apart from new micro-fibre cloths.

So, should I go to the trouble of sourcing traditional Japanese products from afar, or can I rely on more readily available products here in the UK?

Will welcome any advice.

Thanks

Well this is going to sound a bit weird but..........I have a respectable wakizashi in koshirae which I like but the previous owner used machine oil and every time a take it out of the saya that's what I smell.  On the other hand the fragrance of choji oil on a blade adds something to the experience for me.  As it's not going to make much difference the extra expense is surely worth it.  No?

All you need from Kevin here, http://www.ryujinswords.com/care.htm if Don can't help you.

All the best.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..