I found this today

Rich T

They have been working on this web site for quite some time. The kodogu sections has many wonderful pieces.

They hold one of the largest collections of Nihonto in the western world, sadly they rarely allow this collection to be seen. Many of the Compton pieces are there. It looks as though they are slowly adding a few nihonto pictures.

A good friend visited and viewed this collection twice with Junji Honma. He was a friend of Compton as well, and states the swords were donated for the public to enjoy. It infuriates him that this has never been done, and this great collection sits in a basement all but forgotten.

Everyone in the Nihonto community should write and ask that this collection be put on permanent display and perhaps on the web site as well.

Ed M.

HI all,

I actually recently talked to Joe Earle, he wrote MFA most recent book etc. . Nice guy and they are heavily committed to putting their entire collections online. From the brief conversations and knowing what it takes just to do my junky photos this is a major undertaking. Joe really wants people to be able to appreciate the tsubas, etc. I suggested doing something with the JSS/US, etc to build awareness of their site and projects. Who knows the politics behind the scenes. Also got the feeling that there is a short staff overwhelmed by what needs to be done. I'm sure that is the problem at most musuems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..