Another Tanegashima Again

Since i noticed the recent thread about a matchlock i thought i would add this.  I can read Kunitomo _____ Yasuyuki saku, so it is a Kunitomo group gun.   I can add a few pictures if the group is interested

post-79-0-70050400-1488939084_thumb.jpg

国友津右衛門安行作 Kunitomo Tsu-uemon Yasuyuki Saku must be the reading, although for some reason I can find no other record of this smith.

The closest I can get is Group 3 at Kunitomo where there were a Kunitomo Tsudayu 津太夫 and 津太夫能当, both using this unusual (within Kunitomo) Tsu kanji. Do you have any more pics of gun or inscriptions?

If .75 bore is 19.05 mm, then this gun is a 10 Monme (11 to be exact but people tended to round them off), a Shizutsu 士筒 or samurai zutsu, much larger and heavier than a typical ashigaru battlefield weapon. A serious piece, designed to impress. It looks good!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..