Nagamaki Naoshi?

Hello all,

I have been searching and searching online and found nothing useful on these. Ultra sparkly jigane, nothing I own comes close to that .. Era? School? Smith?  HELP :)

Nagasa: 566.73 mm
Motogasane: 7.2 mm
Nakago Length: 171.3 mm

Thank you for your time!

P.S. This is the closest to the jigane of mine 

http://www.bushidojapaneseswords.com/clo1-nagamaki-noashi---chogi.html

Hi...if this would be an altered nagamaki, it does appear to have lots of "star-like" nie or ko-nie, which is good. Notice there is a kaeri which would indicate the blade shape has not been changed much. Just a thought from what can be seen of the jigane, sue-koto, perhaps Shitahara den comes to mind. Certainly nothing positive here at this point.

Ron STL

Hi...if this would be an altered nagamaki, it does appear to have lots of "star-like" nie or ko-nie, which is good. Notice there is a kaeri which would indicate the blade shape has not been changed much. Just a thought from what can be seen of the jigane, sue-koto, perhaps Shitahara den comes to mind. Certainly nothing positive here at this point.

Ron STL

Thank you. I thought this is earlier one (14th century) and I thought it is Soshu den (I have not been able to find a lot of information on these online) But you are definitely right about one part - the star like quality. I have shitahara yasushige katana and it is very very different than this one But I am thankful that you took the time to reply!

What I am seeing is a fairly coarse jitetsu with openings and, as Ron mentioned, a turnback. It is difficult to evaluate in the photos you have taken, but looks like it may have saki-zori as well. My impression is Sue-koto. Not a Nambokucho-period naginatanaoshi.

What I am seeing is a fairly coarse jitetsu with openings and, as Ron mentioned, a turnback. It is difficult to evaluate in the photos you have taken, but looks like it may have saki-zori as well. My impression is Sue-koto. Not a Nambokucho-period naginatanaoshi.

I know, sorry, this was the only way to show the 'star like' reflection of the jigane. I guess so far I don't see one valuable 'thing' in what I got so might as well sell it all and buy a 'dynamite' katana.. 

Hello Yu! I refrained from writing a reply earlier to few of your topics but I followed them. As you have acquired some very good quality swords to your collection and by reading the few threads I got the impression you are bit puzzled about some of them. Have you tried contacting/visiting a local/localish (don't know your location) sword club. I am sure the members in there would welcome you with open arms and could offer some hands on assistance with your swords.

• Like 1

Hello Yu! I refrained from writing a reply earlier to few of your topics but I followed them. As you have acquired some very good quality swords to your collection and by reading the few threads I got the impression you are bit puzzled about some of them. Have you tried contacting/visiting a local/localish (don't know your location) sword club. I am sure the members in there would welcome you with open arms and could offer some hands on assistance with your swords.

Don't stay in the shade my friend and thank you for writing. No, I have not become a member of the sword community locally yet but I think this is a great idea. Based on the few replies I sold the nagamaki naoshi as per some members' impression it was not nanbokucho blade and I want to own old blades only. I am puzzled when it comes to their market value more than anything as I happen to have quite a few sue koto and Shinto blades that I don't want to keep but I can't simply give away and I am definitely having a hard time finding accurate range for prices after searching the web day and night... thank you again

Hi Yu Li, You need to ask why the difference in price? and if you still can not understand it :-? then ask some of the guys on the NMB that are wiling to help but by PM and ask them how they came to the conclusion that it is in the right range but remember they are just that, peoples opinions. The other way takes time to get a feel for the market. Also remember that some blades sell in a day and some take years to sell so if your price is out  it may take years to sell it or not at all. I have seen blades that have been up for sale for years, that tells me the seller is unrealistic but some have hope that someone will come along one day :laughing: and just because its an old blade does not mean its a well made blade as there are a lot of low quality or tired old blades sue koto is a good example :) 

Hi Yu Li, You need to ask why the difference in price? and if you still can not understand it :-? then ask some of the guys on the NMB that are wiling to help but by PM and ask them how they came to the conclusion that it is in the right range but remember they are just that, peoples opinions. The other way takes time to get a feel for the market. Also remember that some blades sell in a day and some take years to sell so if your price is out  it may take years to sell it or not at all. I have seen blades that have been up for sale for years, that tells me the seller is unrealistic but some have hope that someone will come along one day :laughing: and just because its an old blade does not mean its a well made blade as there are a lot of low quality or tired old blades sue koto is a good example :) 

Thanks buddy. There's anotyer mysterious factor that doesn't sell even great blades for great prices. I will find out sooner or later. This one is gone, maybe another big mistake.. no regerts lol