"can't Find Hamon"

md02geist

So I ran across something while perusing Aoi's site:

https://www.aoijapan.com/wakizashi-kane-ikakire-gold-inlay-signature-july-25th-kyoho-5th-kuramochi-anzaemon-ryodan-saidan

This blade specifically says "but we can't find hamon for some reason."

Am I misreading the high-res pictures? I swear I see a hamon or what looks like a hamon, right up until it hits the kissaki. Is that just an angle of light thing?

Forgive me if this is a dumb question. :)

• Like 1

Based on Tsuruta-san's description, this is most likely only the kesho (hadori) that is applied in finish polish. From the photo below, it does appear that there is only a sleepy remnant of the original yakiba.

https://www.aoijapan.com/img/sword/2016/16583-4.jpg

It is possible that the sword was in a fire or exposed to heat at some point which caused the hamon to mostly fade away.

BTW, polishers can do remarkable things to disguise a missing hamon or boshi. This includes inlaying small pieces of hard steel to replicate the appearance of nie. There was one such sword at a recent sword show, where the lower half of the blade had a "hamon" consisting entirely of inlaid nie and a simulated yakiba done through skillful polish.  

• Like 2

.....BTW, polishers can do remarkable things to disguise a missing hamon or boshi. This includes inlaying small pieces of hard steel to replicate the appearance of nie. There was one such sword at a recent sword show, where the lower half of the blade had a "hamon" consisting entirely of inlaid nie and a simulated yakiba done through skillful polish.  

Ray,

I did not know this was possible and really done! Sounds like a lot of effort, and I am not sure I would like such a blade. On the other hand a SAI-HA/ new YAKI-IRE would not represent much more work, I think. 

It is an effective approach if someone's intention is to disguise a missing boshi, nioi giri, etc (a section of the sword) rather than saiba in which the entire hamon would need to be recreated. If the majority of the original hamon has been preserved there is a greater likelihood that the flaw will pass unnoticed. I am not advocating this practice BTW, most times the intention would be to deceive potential buyers and it is certainly better to preserve the sword for what is rather than drilling a number of holes in the blade. Some may not agree, but I also prefer not to see umegane done for the same reason.

Ray,

I did not know this was possible and really done! Sounds like a lot of effort, and I am not sure I would like such a blade. On the other hand a SAI-HA/ new YAKI-IRE would not represent much more work, I think. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..