Anyone Ever Used Anything Like This For Long Term Storage?

Yup, it was me. Those ZCORR bags are wonderful, Michael! I bought a blade that was in really lousy shape, but no slot was available for polishing for many months. So I just stuck the blade in one of those bags, & time came to a stop for it, as far as further corrosion went. Works equally well for firearms, too.

I like the bags so much, that I actually became one of their dealers! Highly recommended!

Ken

• Like 1

Ken, do the chemicals inside the bags affect the state of polish on the sword? My swords are all in top condition with high-end polish. The last thing I would want on them is some sort of vapour / haze / film / coating on them that diminishes or ruins the polish.

Also, how do you store the blades inside - merely in the shirasaya or shirasaya wrapped in the silk bag and the whole silk bag into one of those protective foil/Velcro covers?

Thank you so much for the help,

Michael

I've seen no sign at all that there is ANY change in the polish, Michael. I've stored blades in them as bare & in shirasaya, as well as bare-metal firearms & airguns, & have seen no change in anything that I could detect. You can also store them in koshirae &/or the silk bags.

These bags were originally made for the military to keep their weapons in while in harsh tropical conditions, & I doubt that the admirals & generals would tolerate an environment that changed anything at all. Hope this helps.

Ken

• Like 1

I live across the street from the Pacific Ocean, get an average 56 inches of rain each year, & our relative humidity never gets below 55%, so if the bags work for me here in the tropics, they should work for everyone! I became their local dealer because many people have items that they want to protect long-term from rust, but it was Nihonto that got me started with them. I've been using the bags for about 4-1/2 years, Michael, & the only thing that I can point out is that their Velcro seals are very, very strong!

Ken

I did and I can say I see nothing but a great result. Not to mention that once I wipe it down (which is much easier than cleaning choji oil) I can see much more 'clean' steel. Of course I don't insist you put it on your blades, that is my experience and what I saw as an improvement on a pretty old shikakke 30" blade is what led me to believe this may be useful long term, project or not.

That is the very point. They remove oils without scratching delicate surfaces.

I have been using them but I noticed slight scratching that is the reason to ask (unless they have been picking up stuff along the way).. so I followed the aoi advice and use what they have suggested. Not the wd stuff lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..