Chicago Sword Show April 28-30, 2017

Next show  is Chicago.

Check out website http://www.chicagoswordshow.com

If you are staying at the hotel make reservations early as the room black may fill up

https://aws.passkey.com/event/15141567/owner/4631/home

or call 847-605-1234   800-233-1234  and mention Midwest Token Kai/Sword show to get the show rate

If anyone has any questions email me at nixe@bright.net

Thanks

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There will be a presentation by the NBTHK-AB, i understand it will have some great tsuba and blades, more infor as it gets closer, also a presentation "Oda Nobunaga, the Owari School and the birth of Shinto Swords". It will  have blades and a multimedia presentation.

How much of an additional hassle is it to get to the show from Midway instead of o'hare?

As I'd like to bring a couple of bags/would like to get to Chicago before the middle of the night w/o having to sell a kidney and/or take a redye, so I'm thinking of taking Southwest, and....

Thx,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 1

Richard -- Chicago is my home town.  Midway is a 'LONG' way from Schaumburg (where the show is) and the area isn't all that safe, especially at night.  You'd have to rent a car as a cab would be prohibitive and there are areas around the airport where if you make a wrong turn might get you in over your head very fast (and I mean not in a nice way at all).  What ever the details, just go to O'Hare and cab it (Mark has directions on the show page) or you can rent a car (what I do) if you want to explore.  The area from O'Hare to Schaumburg is safe and you'll be on the expressways anyway.  It takes about fifteen minutes to get to the hotel.  It can be a bit confusing first time as there are lane changes you have to hit or it's a big hassle so you might be better off cabbing it.  There are always folks there who drive so you can hitch with a group to a restaurant if wanted.

why not just take 50 straight north or if you want to do it on interstate 50 to 55 then to 90 north to schaumburg ...bit of a drive yes, be fearless in your eye them boogy men will turn away just dont stare, walk like you own it.

That-Displays-Which-Airports-Are-Near-Yo

on the show web page there is a "transportation" page  http://www.chicagoswordshow.com/transportation/  at least 2 of the companies look like they have service to/from Midway, you can call them or  click on their links hope that helps. The Hyatt recommends " GO Airport Express, it looks like the round trip to Midway is $69 but i would verify and get a reservation

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The preparations are coming along nicely. The Hotel room block is almost full so if you need a room grab one soon.  I had a cancellation so if you want a table let me know, first come etc. Should be a good show, at least one dealer from Japan will be there buying as well as a number of international exhibitors and buyers. Educational presentations and displays on Saturday.  Any questions or suggestions let me know at nixe@bright.net

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

today is the last day the hotel has to honor the show rate. Sometimes they take a day or so to take the rate off their system. Last i looked there were 2 rooms left, both KING bed rooms. If you need one try to grab it now.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, one more stupid question - do any of you people arrange your transport to/from the airport in advance? I'm worried about what happens when your plane is late - in order to get in at a reasonable time I ended up signing up for a delta flight, and I've had dismal luck with them being on time, and..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204139833794957&set=p.10204139833794957&type=1&theater

Thanks,

rkg

(Richard George)

I called ahead to the recommended company to give them the flight and arrival time. Once in the airport, I called them again and they told me where to mee t the cab and the cab number. The system works well. If you see another collector you can share a cab.

I use American Taxi Service almost weekly in Chicago. They have a very good app that functions like uber and is excellent. They even quote you a price before you reserve. (My app is showing $25 one way)

A rental car is also easy from o'hare. Take the rental car bus right outside baggage claim, about 5 min ride. Free parking at the hotel, and it's a short drive.

Also, I will have with me at my table a copy of the 1st volume of Tosogu Classroom, the new translation of Mr. Fukushi's writing by Markus Sesko, JSS/US and NBTHK/AB/EB.  Stop by for a peek and if you're interested I can set you up to order a copy.

Grey

Hope to meet some of you guys (and gals) on NMB in Chicago. I think most of us KTK (Kokusai Tosogu Kai) members will be found towards the back half of the room, right side area. I pulled out some nice swords to put out for sale and may have space to lay out a few "show and tell" items for study. Always feel free to ask  to see such under-the-table sharing items, a good way to see some nice quality things. (I'm bad about asking about these myself, my fault.) Also, don't miss the special events put on by the NBTHK American branch and others. Takes one away from the showroom but are always learning experiences!  Ron STL

• Like 2

You're going to the right place. I'm looking forward to seeing some new, old, and very old (lol) faces. If you see a goofy looking guy, who is in the midst of prematurely graying, with a cute little 5 year old girl, that would be me. Stop me and say hey if you're so inclined.

If you see a goofy looking guy, who is in the midst of prematurely graying, with a cute little 5 year old girl, that would be me.

Ya know... if we all weren't friends here... that statement could come across wrong... :)

Just kidding! Always love to see the future generations at the shows. I'll be there Saturday and looking forward to the show. Always too much to see and take in... and that is such a good thing.

Mark S.

just got home from the show as always Mark does a perfect job every time, from treat bags to a great show party to the large crowd.  Also very good to see old friends I have not been able to see...a must attend show, and also with people buying !

Fred Geyer 

• Like 2

Thank you to Mark, and all the great friends present. I always learn so much, and this one was no exception.

If you haven't attended a show, you are really missing an amazing time.

Favorites this time: 1- Meeting Joe's daughter, who is the next generation of nihonto collectors! 2 - Finally meeting Markus Sesko! 3 - A fantastic lecture on Owari seki blades. 4- A great discussion with Danny Massey. 5- A collection of a dozen goto fittings representing around 10 generations.

Great fun.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..