Nihonto (And Japanese Antique) Buying Service!

Japanese Antique Auctions

How would you like to have your own buying agent, boots on the ground, in Japan?  Many of you on NMB already use my service, but allow me to introduce myself again, as I have not checked into NMB for quite some time - I've been busy!!

lI ive a few minutes from World Heritage Himeji Castle, about 30 minutes west of Osaka, Japan.  For the last 10 of my 26 years here, I’ve been buying and exporting Japanese antiques (samurai in particular) for my customers all over the world.  Yes... I do nihonto also!  I’m not an expert, but I’ve laid my hands on many fine pieces and have learned much from my many sellers and of course from you, my excellent customers.  If I may be of service to you, please learn more about my service in the “about” section of my Facebook page, and contact me there.  https://www.facebook.com/Japanese.antique.auctions/   

Ask to be on my direct mailing list!  Just tell me your full name, country and email address and I’ll add you!  

Yoroshiku Onegai shimasu.

Kelly Schmidt (Mr.)

post-2256-0-21420700-1485503298_thumb.jpg

There's an alternative service about to launch shortly in Japan at only 7% comission, not the 20% that you charge. This is being put together by one of Japan's leading and licenced dealers for the katchu community, which will extend to nihonto and teppo collectors.

Are you prepared to price match, and offer the longer term storage so that items may be combined ?

A saving of 13% is very significant.

Details are on The Samurai Armour Forum

I wil be happy to negotiate, as I always have, on a piece by piece basis, directly with my customers. 

Of course, the commission will depend upon, among other things, the value of the item.

Longer term storage is also possible depending upon the size and nature of the items and the length of time.

I would be happy to read the details about the new service; however, I do not have access to the Samurai Armour Forum...

By the way, regarding teppo, I recently applied for an export permit with the Ministry of Culture and it was granted.

However, upon sending, Japan Customs blocked it, stating that export of any operating firearm is illegal. 

They said it must be certified non-operable.  I had to resell the teppo in Japan.

Please do be careful, and confirm with Japan Customs before buying teppo!

Kelly Schmidt

Ah... I forgot to mention...

Most of my customers, who are familiar with and passionate about armor and nihonto, search themselves and so receive a reduced fee of 15%.

There is a lot more work involved than most realise and I also offer a lot of services which other services do not, most at no extra charge.

Kelly Schmidt

• Like 1

Dave, if you are going to mention another service, please post details here and not redirect elsewhere, where not everyone has access. A new thread would be appropriate.
Also, that said, I have only heard good things about Kelly's services over the years and I find it comforting to be dealing with a Westerner in Japan who is living there and knows both sides of the equation, so to speak.
I would love to hear more about the service you mentioned, but would probably pay a bit extra for now until anyone else has a few years experience with our members here. But by all means...there is enough market for everyone. Please start a new topic Dave, and give us some details by all means.
Kelly, please do feel free to update us regularly and also to post any new items you may find or be aware of. Under the research link above, there are links to searching the Japanese auctions for those who want to have a go at looking for items. I know for fittings etc, it is particularly attractive to consider these services.
Kelly is also a NMB supporter, and that says a lot to me. Lots of people only want to take what they can get, without giving anything back to the communities that support them.
Looking forward to feedback on both services, and to a wider market open to our members here.

• Like 2

I'll post it up as soon as I get the confirmation that it's stated.

I was asked if I could be one of the team to offer an opinion on armour for the buyers. All very exciting. I can't give out he name of the dealer yet, but most of us buy from him, been in business for over 12yrs, westerner living in Japan and very knowledgable. 

I think it's important for the nihonto community to know that an alternative is on route that will only 7% in commission fees. 
One of the main issues for us armour collectors is commission fees, thats why I asked Kelly if he will price match. 

Everyone wins with a transparent marketplace.

As to Kelly's service, I received a parcel from him just two weeks ago, very professional. Thank you.

• Like 4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..