Name On Nakago Mune!

I've never seen a name on the tang's mune before. I believe it might have been the owner's name. Mamoru is a common first name for a male. This is assuming the kanji is indeed 護. I still have doubts, but in lieu of a more viable alternative I'll stick with it for now.

I'm not sure this is the Kuniie Ray mentioned, but this is the one in my collection. Terrific tanto, in my opinion. Nakago-mune shows the date of this special order tanto. I've also seen some nakago-mune signed by a polisher; that may have been on a sword dedicated to a shrine during celebration of there founding. Interesting sword that I handled decades ago but went elsewhere, to my regret.

Ron STL

post-1311-0-45187300-1484870121_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Steve,

It's on a 1945 blade with a chippy Seki-style smith name of "Nagamitsu". It's a bit puzzling because it's clearly not the famous Nagamitsu (wrong "Naga" kanji), plus the Naga kanji is right for a Seki naga, but the only Seki Nagamitsu I can find even uses a different kanji. This naga is used in other smith names, but not in the Nagamitsu, as far a I can find.

post-3487-0-82138500-1485530161_thumb.jpg

That's a well done nakago and not a seki one. It's "Chikugo ju Nagamitsu". Look for Endo Nagamitsu - that's who made this. If memory serves, he was a $1M yen smith and did decently at the wartime competitions.

Edit to add: He ranked Chuge Saku and was RJT

http://www.jp-sword.com/files/seki/gendaito.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting Kokura Arsenal stamps on a mune, both the Kokura "Ho" and Kokura First Arsenal "Ko."

Army Arsenal Kokura Factory - Kokura Army Arsenal inspection mark: "Ko".

"Ko" stamp is not discovered except for the following example. It seems that the inspection mark

used the "To" commonly since most Tokyo Factories relocated to Kokura Factory.

Army Arsenal Kokura First Factory inspection mark: "Ho"

Sorry, the Ko is above the Ho and fainter. Not a good view of it in this pic.

post-3487-0-64335000-1489596370_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..