Mamorigatana / Boy's Day / Bunraku Swords

Brian

Quite a few threads on these, with varying opinions. Some say Boy's Day. Others say that those swords were not really for the festrival, and they are actually made for the birth of a child. Then others say that they are child's swords made for young Samurai. And some say they are made for Bunraku plays...where some of the puppets are high end, and very well made.
Some of the swords are crude, most in fact. But it appears as though higher end miniatures do exist, and I recently came across one that is now mine after some negotiation.
This one was saved from destruction many years ago by a knifemaker here. It appears as though the blade had been powder coated black when he got it, and he stripped the coating and etched the hamon, but luckily he was clever enough not to hit it with any power tools, or ruin the lines, and the etching hasn't caused any damage..very lucky. The sword is restorable.
I was amazed when I got it. The pics made it look like a small wakizashi. But it is perfectly to scale, and tiny. Really cute. Every detail is perfectly done.
Because of the acid etch, I can't really tell if the hamon is nie or nioi, but under magnification I think I see some nie. And I won't know if it has hada until I can get it to a polisher. But I hold some hope that it does.
It appears to be signed Sadakazu. Of course that is seriously wishful thinking. But the signature is less than half normal size, the yasurime are perfectly done, and I do have a 5% hope it was made for some wealthy family.
It only has a saya, but the level of technique there is also impressive. Taking off the single hanger and the ishizuki, the saya was able to come apart, revealing an outer and inner layer of wood, with touches like horizontal striations inside the top of the saya where the (TINY) habaki sits. I also later saw some symbols on the fittings, that are repeated numerous times in gold and silver...2 triangles facing each other. Not sure if that is a mon or what, but they indicate higher class to me.
This is a tiny sword. Nagasa is only 343mm, and at the machi it is only 8mm across (mihaba) and 4mm thick (kasane)
So there you have it. The pics look like they are distorted by perspective etc, but that's actually how big it is . I don't have giant hands :)
Think I want to get this one restored and see how it is made, and put it into shirasaya. Not sure I'll find fittings for it...not with those dimensions, and don't want to get them modern made.
I wonder how it was mounted before? The single ashi might have had a second one...but won't move lower down currently. I assumed it would have been mounted tachi style, but it's signed katana mei.
Lot of effort in this one, and I am really enjoying it.
So..comments on this style of sword in general?
(.308 cartridge for scale, since it was handy at the time :) 
Also pictured next to an average out of polish wakizashi with regular proportions)

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3137a.jpg

IMG_3150.JPG

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3158.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

• Like 7

Although possible, I don't think this is for Bunraku. I think it is a real sword, traditionally made, just for a child or very wealthy family. Basing this on the workmanship, hamon, and what I think may be hada in places. It is so well made, I still have a tiny hope it is shoshin, although reality says it probably isn't. But it isn't out of the realm of possibility based on the time period and work that the smith was doing at the time. It wasn't a period of conflict...so commissions would have been common. But maybe just getting my hopes up.
The "mon" are interesting and unusual. Must have meant something to someone, as they are not blatant.

• Like 1

Very nice and unusual Brian! If it's shoshin then probably very rare. Wouldn't that be amazing if it has a gassan hada ( controlled masame or ayasugi), but these smith's could do many styles of hada, and this may be the less artistic and more weapon type homogenous hada. Either way, looks lovely to me! I would think polish would be affordable for such a small blade. I'll stay tuned. BTW, the hamon looks lively, as in water quenched; there is an interface of metals showing very well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..