Navy Sword

EdWolf

Probably the logo of the store or retailer that sold the sword. Not common, so would add a little value to a militaria collector. But these being stainless machine made swords, they are at the lower end of sword prices. Still...probably about a $1000 sword, and the sticker will interest some collectors

• Like 1

Fantastic! I have been told this style was designed by Takayama Masayoshi, who was an instructor at the Naval Academy in sword technique. His concept was developed after studying WWI trench warfare. The idea was draw, strike, kill with one blow. The more time spent hand-to-hand just increase the odds of someone else getting you from behind. So the blade is shorter, heavier, with more mass at the tip for more momentum.

There are blades of this style signed by the smith as dedicated to Takayama, and called a Takayama-to. I've also discovered there was a "Takayama Prison" that was making war swords. So I don't know the actual source for our blades, but it's possible they were being made by the prison, or the style was just requested by the naval officer buying the sword.

I've posted a couple of articles about Takayama below.

post-3487-0-47854200-1482784332_thumb.png

post-3487-0-11062200-1482784355_thumb.png

• Like 2

Fantastic! I have been told this style was designed by Takayama Masayoshi, who was an instructor at the Naval Academy in sword technique. His concept was developed after studying WWI trench warfare. The idea was draw, strike, kill with one blow. The more time spent hand-to-hand just increase the odds of someone else getting you from behind. So the blade is shorter, heavier, with more mass at the tip for more momentum.

There are blades of this style signed by the smith as dedicated to Takayama, and called a Takayama-to. I've also discovered there was a "Takayama Prison" that was making war swords. So I don't know the actual source for our blades, but it's possible they were being made by the prison, or the style was just requested by the naval officer buying the sword.

I've posted a couple of articles about Takayama below.

Now that has me wondering about my Kaneyoshi blade, quite short, a discernible fumbari and a Bull head kisaki!

post-2218-0-65655100-1482792290_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Bruce, your great photos have prompted me to ask you a question. Why on most WW2 swords in original polish, the KISSAKI end of the MUNE has a frosted (or etched?) appearance, ending at or near the YOKOTE? Neil.

I've noticed that too, Neil, but have never heard. It would be a question to put directly to a swordsmith I would think.

Here is an unusual point of preservation protocol. How would one protect the sticker? What could be done (other than just being careful) to keep it from disintegrating? 

Kurt K

A great question Kurt. Renwax perhaps, carefully applied to create a light barrier? I think that may work but won't be a perfect solution. I'm not in favor of the idea, but you could alternatively spray on some varnish, since stainless steel does not patina like regular steel anyway. Otherwise a stable, dry environment and minimising the number of times the tsuba is removed, which may wear the sticker. Beyond that I'm not sure exactly.

• Like 2

Kurt another possibility to help preserve the sticker could be a layer of cling wrap but you would need to be very careful sliding the Nakago into the Tsuka to make sure it stays flat. I'm not sure how this would effect the patina compared to the uncovered nakago or which would take priority on these blades. All the best.

Greg

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..